Got my first mini bike

Posted this in the Cat owners group page but figured I would put it here too.

Hello all,
I am new to the mini bike world as I just got my first one. It is a Cat 400x with a 4hp Tecumseh on it. I took it around the street a little and it is super fun. I was hoping to get some advice from some more experienced members as far as maintence goes. I would like to create a maintence checklist for the bike to keep it in good shape for riding. Please give feedback as far as how to's for maintence and other reccomendations/ advice. Possibly there is a manual out there?? New to this type of thing and need advice as far as maintence goes. Thanks!

Hey Dug,

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes.

Cat 400 and 4 hp tecumseh..nice.

I'm not a cat officianado (but I like them), and I think the 4 hp tecumseh is the correct motor type.

Show us some pictures.

Again, welcome !

Hey, Welcome to OldMiniBikes. I am also somewhat new, but own several mini bikes, one of which is a Cat 400x (mine has a 3hp Briggs though). Maintenance on the mini bike should not be too big of a deal as long as it is running fine. Engine wise, you should change your oil around every 15-20 hours of use, change the air filter once it starts to look dirty, and always use clean, new gas. On the mini bike, it would be a good idea to grease the wheels once a year. Other than that, as long as you take care of the bike, and do not beat on it, that should be all the maintenance it needs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and I will try to post pictures soon. Does anyone know of where I could get a manual by any chance?

Buckeye, it is red.

Hello all,
Here are some photos.

In the first photo you can see the pull start. After taking the pictures, I decided to start it up. It started but now the pull start will not go all the way back in. It is about a foot out of completely being wound up. I really need advice as far as how to fix this! Also,
I would like a more detailed list on the exact maintence that these old bikes require... Like oil, gas, lubrication, cleaning, how often to do this, etc.

Hey everyone,
I really need help figuring out a maintence routine to write up so that I can have it for the bike. Also, how do I fix the broken pull start? Thanks again for your input.

Looks great!.. I was thinking about building a mini bike, but not enough time right now.. I do have an old vintage Clinton A400 2 1/2 horspower engine.. If anyones looking for one in I have one for sale..It is missing the pull string, but besides that great little engine..
Anyways congrats on your bike

buckeye

Take your shroud off and spray some lube around the wheel behind the shroud. That should help get your rope back in.

Maintanence. Change the oil regularly. I change mine every couple of months. Most of my engines are older, so they need fresh oil.

Keep you chain oiled with chain lube. Find it at most bike shops or online.

Keep your bearing lubed. Spray some type of penitrating oil around them. They do pretty well unless you are riding in sand or water.
Go over the bike regularly to be sure all of your bolts are tight and everything stays where it should.

As far as a written out schedule, I don't know of a specific interval on doing things. I just make sure all is good each couple of months, depending on how much riding time each one of them get.

Buckeye, thanks for your response.

What specific kind of oil should I use? Is there any specific gasoline I should use too?

I will update once I have time to take a look at the pull start.

buckeye

I use pb blaster, wd40 or the like. Works for me. Right, I don't know, but it works.
Oil for the crankcase, 10w or 10w30 in mine. Again, may not be right but works.
I use regular ol gas with fuel stabiliser due to the ethenol.
On my engines with a bowl, I shut off the gas and run the til they are out of gas. Keeps the gas from setting in the carb and gunking them up.

Okay, so I removed the entire shroud off the engine and sprayed lubricant all over. But, it still does not let the pull start rope go all the way back in. Any suggestions?