Governor

I've been able to re-use my case gasket after 3 or 4 times so far - but my engine is less then 2 months old. :drinkup:
Yea my engine was bought recently but it probably has a handful of hrs on it. It's been awhile since I've done engine work so just looking forward to getting it opened up. Hows riding in Boulder? I'm over near the smoky hill area.

Governor checklist

[x] valve springs
[x] extra throttle linkage
[x] rope
[x] oil

[ ] side cover gasket
[ ] plug for governor
[ ] feeler gauge
[ ] ??

i don't know what kind of plug you're looking for for the governor holes, but a 1/4-20 set screw will work. it will self thread in the hole. just be sure to clean up any shavings before putting the motor back together.

Off subject

i don't know what kind of plug you're looking for for the governor holes, but a 1/4-20 set screw will work. it will self thread in the hole. just be sure to clean up any shavings before putting the motor back together.
Thanks strigoi, i don't know what's getting over me the parts store wants $5 for five self tapping screws? :surrender: Maybe these would make good bling necklaces or bike ornaments or something sheez.

Governor checklist II

Hey all just continuing here if anyone wants to add/make something out of this have at it. The information here you'll find pretty much all over just putting it into one bowl.

[x] valve springs
[x] extra throttle linkage
[x] rope
[x] oil
[x] plug for governor

[ ] side cover gasket
[ ] feeler gauge
[ ] ??

sounds like you have it covered; a few thoughts:

[X] while there I would also remove the low oil sensor assembly
[X] if not already done I would relocate the engine (kill) switch to handlebars
[X] hack saw blade out the governor arm from interior and fill hole w/ set screw
[X] torque wrench
[X] locktite
[X] adult beverage

Last edited:
Question about plugging the governor

Is there more than one hole that gets plugged when removing the governor? I know about the one on top that connects with the throttle linkage and that should be 1/4-20 self tap. Is there another whole to plug inside after removing the gear?

Is there more than one hole that gets plugged when removing the governor? I know about the one on top that connects with the throttle linkage and that should be 1/4-20 self tap. Is there another whole to plug inside after removing the gear?
there's the hole for the shaft that the governor gear rides on (on the flywheel side). you don't have to remove it but i just prefer to not have it in there since it isn't being used. you'll see what i'm talking about when you get in there.

be sure to remove any washers that are behind the gear. you don't want them floating around in your case.

there's the hole for the shaft that the governor gear rides on (on the flywheel side). you don't have to remove it but i just prefer to not have it in there since it isn't being used. you'll see what i'm talking about when you get in there.

be sure to remove any washers that are behind the gear. you don't want them floating around in your case.
thank you thank you thank you. I was getting confused here. To clear up what we have is the following:

1. 1/4-20 Self tap screw for on top after removing the governor and throttle linkage. I'm not sure of a good length yet but looks like maybe 1 1/2" or so. These are about $4 at the hardware store
2. 1/4-20x1/4 Set screw for those who chose to remove the arm that the governor gear is attached to. (There's a video in here under 6.5 mods where you punch it out from the flywheel side). These are less than $2 shipped from amazon.

What are you guys using to fix/repair gaskets

I know there are many here that are getting by reusing what you have. I'm just asking because to me this is one of those dead liners that doesn't have to be.

Although there are many gasket kits from looking at what's available haven't seen a side cover gasket that looks like an exact fit. If I'm wrong than this won't be a problem. But if you can't find a replacement gasket and the one you have is cracked or incomplete what are you guys repairing it with. I brought up FORM A GASKET earlier any others that have worked?

Thanks for keeping up with this one should be having it done this weekend some time.

thank you thank you thank you. I was getting confused here. To clear up what we have is the following:

1. 1/4-20 Self tap screw for on top after removing the governor and throttle linkage. I'm not sure of a good length yet but looks like maybe 1 1/2" or so. These are about $4 at the hardware store
2. 1/4-20x1/4 Set screw for those who chose to remove the arm that the governor gear is attached to. (There's a video in here under 6.5 mods where you punch it out from the flywheel side). These are less than $2 shipped from amazon.
you don't need that long of a screw for the top hole. i'm using small set screws in each hole and it works fine. if you have extra clutch set screws laying around they'll work just as well as anything else.

I used 2 1/4-20 x 1/2" allen head screws form Home Depot 4 in a package $1.29. Put a little locktite on them and just screwed them in until they stopped. Worked perfect. On the rod on the inside that holds the governor together, I used a small pair of vise grips, Grabbed it from the inside and just twisted it Right and Left until it came out no need to pull the blower housing. Then bent the top rod moved it down and then bent it again dropped right out.

To repair the gasket if you damage it. I used RTV sealer in the areas that cracked. Infact the one I hosed is still on my buddy's motor although we have a new gasket for it. He now has 752 miles on the Clone and still runs strong.

Last edited:
I used 2 1/4-20 x 1/2" allen head screws form Home Depot 4 in a package $1.29. Put a little locktite on them and just screwed them in until they stopped. Worked perfect. On the rod on the inside that holds the governor together, I used a small pair of vise grips, Grabbed it from the inside and just twisted it Right and Left until it came out no need to pull the blower housing. Then bent the top rod moved it down and then bent it again dropped right out.

To repair the gasket if you damage it. I used RTV sealer in the areas that cracked. Infact the one I hosed is still on my buddy's motor although we have a new gasket for it. He now has 752 miles on the Clone and still runs strong.
That's how I would do it. I'll probably pull the blower housing just to get a feel for the flywheel. Have you cut fins yet on the fan. I think it's nickle and diming here and it all adds up but I imagine if it's not dead on it's going to be unbalanced. .

Last edited:
Don't order your 66015 clone side cover gasket yet

Woohoo. Got everything to do the governor this weekend.

[x] throttle linkage
[x] valve springs
[x] locktite
[x] feeler gauge
[x] plugs
[x] rope
[x] oil

[x] side cover gasket delivered but wrong size. Everything looked good on the PO, oh well.

Ungoverned

With some luck the governor got removed. Thanks for your feedback it all added up.

If you are viewing this thinking about removing the governor these are some extras that didn’t cost much except for some time but felt definitely well spent.

Remove the governor from the flywheel side. There is a video in this forum [6.5clone mod]/??? Where the guy does a governor removal step by step. Even though in his video he is using a new engine I found the removal to be clean considering my engine has a handful of hours on it.

With the side cover open the valves can be floated to replace the stock springs. This wasn’t really smooth sailing because the valves keep wanting to drop but being able to see everything made it easier to grasp. By the way with 18lb valve springs there wasn’t enough room riding around the neighborhood to float the springs.

Doubled up on the throttle return spring. This one was a must because when my son rides with me he is starting to get comfortable working the throttle. He wants to throttle with me. With two springs the throttle is more of an adult grip.

For additional information on removing the governor outside of this forum check out affordable go karts. They have a good clear write up and have the parts mentioned above.

Until the next one.:scooter: