GreyHound Starter Assembly

Hi,

I replaced my starter assembly and all I could find thru Harbor Freight is the one for the Predator, which has the same 3 hole pattern, but it doesn't work right.

The 2 pins on the assembly are round and not square so it won't engage correctly.

So I need either a Greyhound starter assembly or the piece on the flywheel that will work with the Predator assembly that I have bought..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I called Harbor Freight trying to order the Starter Pulley for the Predator hoping that maybe its different, maybe spacing even though it looks the same in the diagram.

Anyway, according to Harbor Freight, the starter pulley isn't available..

So right now I'm in a holding pattern waiting for someway to either get the original starting assembly for the GreyHound motor or get a starter pulley that works..

Please Help !!!

buckeye

Try starting a parts wanted ad.
Maybe some has removed one and it is setting ont the shelf waiting for a home.
Good luck.

You could probably use a Honda starter cup with your new recoil, just remove the flywheel nut, put on new cup and torque back to the correct torque (54ft lb iirc).

There are a few different types of cups-
My gx160 uses plastic pawls to engage with a cup with pressed engagement places
My 196 clone uses round steel pawls to engage with a cup with cut out engagement places.

Ok, thanks guys..bought a new starter assembly from EBay with the flat pegs, hopefully this works...After I bought I realized I should have bought the one that came with the starter cup..

OK guys, still have problems..

Got the new starter assembly with the flat pins, put it on and realized that my original starter cup is out of round real bad...

Went back to E-Bay, got a new starter cup which arrived today, put it on, put the starter assembly back on and same crap, hangs up and snaps back 95% of the time.

My neighbor suggested the rear tire be raised off the ground to see if that works.

It actually worked first time and second time, but now doing the same thing...

Any ideas whatsover ??? I'm losing all patience and can't afford to pay anymore money in parts and labor to get this thing going...

Could it be something with the clutch ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, better yet any one in Illinois in the Western Suburbs that could help me out I'd barter with you just to get this running for my daughter...

Thanks

Mike