GX200 Clone question

NewAge

I ordered the 1.2 rockers from AGK and then while shopping on NR-Racing I discovered that if you are running 1.2 rockers on the Clone engine then you "require" a OEM Honda guide plate.
Has anyone else used the guide plate with the 1.2 rockers?
Or has anyone not used the guide plant and had good results?

My $99.00 clone engine has turned itself into my $699.00 clone engine and the last thing I need is to forget something and grenade the thing.

bandit 40

I used the 1.2 rockers on my gx200 clone as well ,i had to remove the guide plate , use a dremel and make the holes longer or more oblong pushing the guide plate closer to the valve springs ,but not to close, will give you the room you need to use your 1.2 rockers

I didn't check the clone, but I got the Honda guideplate. Figured for a couple bucks it's worth it. But then again, NR is just a few miles away from me so easy to pick up :D Did you get 26 lb springs or 18 lb?

bandit 40

Thank you i will check that combo more closely , thanks again for your help i appreiciate all i can get ...........................

bandit 40

well this is the stuff i purchased billrt rod with bearing, arc billett flywheel, custom ground .265lift cam not modified chrome molly pushrods 18pd springs, stainless valves , retainers and keepers lash caps bolt on kit 1, i got both #90 and # 92 jets , dont know which one to use yet with stock carb 140 imulsion tube 1.2 rockers , stud bolt kit stock piston and rings ,i dont want to bump up the compresion, two stage header w k&n will this setup work , i know you said heavier springs , this engine is not yet assembled , can you tell me if this will work , thank you for your help :confused::confused:

NewAge

You have to watch the 1.2 rockers + stock cam and 18 lb springs are pretty close to coil bind.
Hey Stang, I have the 1.2 rockers and the stock cam with 18 lb springs, what is coil bind? doesn't sound good.

And Bandit, you must have spent $$$$ on your list of parts.
I just got the 22mm Mikuni, several jet combos, a two stage pipe with silencer, ARC rod and flat piston, ARC flywheel, pulse fuel pump and manifold, 18 lb springs, 1.2 rockers, guideplate and 6* flywheel key, and that all came up to $$

I still have two more 6.5 clone engines new in the boxes so I will most likely be back at AGK or NR to place another order soon :thumbsup:

It's basically when the cam is at max lift, or the spring compressed the most, there is a certain amount of clearance that should be between coil windings. If their is not enough clearance then you have coil bind. It you look closely at 18lb vs 26lb springs you should see less coils on the 26 which allow for higher lift. If you look on NR Racing site you can see the difference in pictures.

Ok, I'm getting an education, regarding coil bind NR states that "Spring, Valve (883 G200), 18 lb at .812”, each, 6000 RPM, Coil bind at .280. Recommended for stock cams only".

Will I be able to pull it off and run the 1.2 rockers with the 18 lb springs or would you recommend running the stock rockers with the 18 lb springs, or running the 26 lb springs with the 1.2 rockers.
I am running the stock cam.

I have been told that heavier springs promote premature cam wear.

Last edited:
Yea, that's true you don't want to run heavier springs then you need. I ended up cutting off part of the spring coil on mine in order to avoid coil bind. If I modify the motor anymore I will most likely remove the 18 lb springs and put in the 26lb. I don't think you would see a huge difference in cam wear compared to if you run 55lb or something in that area ;P

I would say if you wanna do it right get the 26lb springs, but you can call up Russel at NR and see what he thinks, he's a pretty good guy. Next thing you know you will want the $50 comp cam ;)

Last edited:
Ok, I called Russell, thanks for the tip, he said that I should take a feeler gauge and check the spring for clearance between the coils while fully compressed to see if binding is an issue, or run the 26 lb springs which he agreed would promote more stress and wear on the valve trane but would also show a positive difference in performance.

I will check the clearance of the 18 lb springs and will also put the 26 lb springs on my shopping list.

FLASH!!
I just got an email back from AGK as follows:

"You should be okay with the 1.2 ratio rockers, 18lb valve springs and a stock cam. Of course you should always check for coil bind once you put the motor together, but we ran motors with this combination of parts without any coil bind.
If you decide to use a racing cam and/or our stainless steel valves you will be very close to coil bind with 18lb springs. The 26lb valve springs will prevent the coil bind problem, but you can’t run the 26lb valve springs with a stock cam or one of our $50 cams. These cams cannot take the added spring pressure very well.
If you decide to install one of our $165 racing cams you can use the 26lb valve springs without any coil bind issues. It sounds like you will be okay with the parts you have right now."

Well, It looks like the 18 lb springs should work but I will definitely check it with a feeler gauge first.

bandit 40

TO CLEAR THIS UP THEN , YOUR SAYING SINCE IM USING THE STAINLESS VALVE TRANE I CANT USE 18PD SPRINGS , I MUST USE 26PD INSTEAD, BUT I CANT USE AN AGK .265 50$ NOT MODIFIED CAM WITH 26PD SPRINGS SHOUL I STAY WITH STOCK CAM AND 18PD :confused: ANY HELP ON THIS WOULD BE AWSOME

Stock valvetrain or one with $50 cam should use 18 pound springs.
Any setup with a racing cam should use the 26 pound springs.
Don't give out some general advice that may or may not be correct.

The Dyno Cam cam is .265 lift * 1.2 rockers is going to give you .318 lift which will more then likely coil bind 18lb springs.

If you're using the Dyno Cam with stock rockers 18lb springs should be fine.

Stock Cam lift can vary by whoever manufactures the engine, so measure the lift multiply it by 1.2 and see what you get, its pretty straight forward. Even doing the math formula is an approximation and should just be measured to be sure, like previously stated.

Last edited: