H50 rod question

I have a billet rod I bought from Clements Racing, I was told it is for a H50. I have my H50 apart and the stock rod is 0.15 longer than the Clements rod. The Clements rod is 3.95 , the rod out of this motor is 4.10. This is the second H50 I have seen this on, I figured the first one was a freak .The piston is 2 5/8. Maybe a H60 ?

125ccCrazy

what is the journal diameter of the billet rod? the only billet rod I have seen for an h50 was for the motorsport crank which had a smaller 1" journal to accommodate the rod bearing... h50 and h60 share the same piston.... the rod on an h50 is longer than a h60 due to a shorter stroke crank...

Last edited:
The billet rod has a 1 inch journal ( with the bearings ) stock rod is 1.065.....Well that ain't gonna work. I didn't even get that far with the length discrepancy. Do you know if the motorsport crank will run a lighted flywheel ?

125ccCrazy

the motorsport crank is for a solid state coil/flywheel so you would have to have a newer style block with an external coil and then look for a lighted set up for that type of flywheel...it won't work on an older engine.... To use the billet rod on an older crank you would have to have the journal turned down to 1".

joshua. c.

if clements clamed the rod fit an h50 and it doesn't, then go call them about it and find out why. maby they sent you the rong rod. give them the measurements you got off both rods and see what they can do for you.

I called them on the first engine about 4 months ago , I was told Mike would talk to his brother and call me back, he never did. Now that I know the billet rods are specifically for the motor sports crank I will have to rethink my engine plan. Thinking H70, I have a rod for one.

Is the H50 the same 1.062 journal as the h60? I want to build one of my H60's. I have a stock H50 motorsports that hasn't been ran yet. I want to build something close to the motorsports. Do you think a H60 crank could me modified to fit a motorsports or briggs raptor rod?

125ccCrazy

Is the H50 the same 1.062 journal as the h60? I want to build one of my H60's. I have a stock H50 motorsports that hasn't been ran yet. I want to build something close to the motorsports. Do you think a H60 crank could me modified to fit a motorsports or briggs raptor rod?
you can turn the H60 journal down to 1" to fit the H50 motorsports rod but the stroke will be wrong for a Tec piston, you would have to find a piston with the right wristpin location and diameter, this would go for using a Briggs rod too.. If you want to build a hot BB Tec I'd get an H70, a Star rod and do the minor mods that's needed to use the rod...

125ccCrazy

I already have 4 tec h60's. Isn't the h50 and the h60 the same piston? I may have found a shop that will turn one of my cranks.
yes the h50 and h60 have the same piston but you cant use an h50 rod on an h60 crank since they are different lengths due to the stroke on the cranks, if you did that the piston will be out of the hole a lot.... You will need to have an h50 crank turned down to use the Motorsports rod...