Has anyone here installed a mikuni on their MB 200?

At the moment, I'm mostly having trouble with the throttle cable.
If you've done this, what did you do?
Did you use the stock cable?
Did you purchase a new one?
Can you use a standard screw cable clamp under the slide?
Did you solder a ball on?
How did you route the cable to a vertical position?

There seems to be so little info on this anywhere.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone with good solid info, possibly with pics, I'll send an Eat at Joe's barbecue hat.

Last edited:
I bought the cable with the carb side barrel on it. Then I measured the lenth I needed. Tied the throttle end of the cable in a tight knot. Keeping tension on it so the knot was small. Put a small dab of JB Weld on the knot. Cut the excess cable off the other end of the not and used a dremel to get the new knot ball the right size to fit in the throttle hole... I have not mounted one to a MB200 so that part is best guess.

You can by a cable with both correct ends on ebay , all Chinese mini ATV's use the same cable as all those little 110cc Honda clones run a mikuni slide type carb , or make an end as Gumpit said , there are also may youtube videos to make cable ends , if you buy one get the longest one you can find , I think it was 44" ?

I bought the cable with the carb side barrel on it. Then I measured the lenth I needed. Tied the throttle end of the cable in a tight knot. Keeping tension on it so the knot was small. Put a small dab of JB Weld on the knot. Cut the excess cable off the other end of the not and used a dremel to get the new knot ball the right size to fit in the throttle hole... I have not mounted one to a MB200 so that part is best guess.
Thanks Gumpit. That's an interesting and rather easy solution. I watched some videos last night on soldering cables, which could be another option.
I'm wondering if I didn't get some stuff. They say to pull the long bolts out of the intake side of the engine, but didn't send anything to mount the carb with.
I haven't taken anything down yet. I'll probably do it today. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing yet.

You can by a cable with both correct ends on ebay , all Chinese mini ATV's use the same cable as all those little 110cc Honda clones run a mikuni slide type carb , or make an end as Gumpit said , there are also may youtube videos to make cable ends , if you buy one get the longest one you can find , I think it was 44" ?
Thanks Chipper. I'm certain there will be more questions.

Well, I got the mikuni installed. It took almost all day, going slow and being certain of my work.
If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in a couple hours or less.

In comparison how it came from TS, this thing runs like a raped ape. (Can I say that? I guess we'll see.)

The only other mod I'm thinking of is a new exhaust. Not sure what I want. I guess I want it to sound good and ballsy, but not like a volley of gunfire. ETA: What would be really cool is to have a way to switch from ballsy to stealth
Maybe some chrome handlebars too!

I suppose I could do what a friend called Oaky chrome, and get some chrome spray paint.

Last edited:
Joe....just remember when you are winding this 200 up that it is now ungoverned and turning quiet a few more rpm's....and the flywheel is aiming at your right leg....:scared:...just be careful ! A billet flywheel is a great investment.

Joe....just remember when you are winding this 200 up that it is now ungoverned and turning quiet a few more rpm's....and the flywheel is aiming at your right leg....:scared:...just be careful ! A billet flywheel is a great investment.
Senior, I am 55, I have no need to rocket down dirt roads. There are far too many things I wish to do in my retirement, and being busted up any further is not one of them. I doubt I'll ever reach top end with it (whatever that may be).

I really don't plan on going much further with the engine, as I wrote, maybe a nicer exhaust.
The next project will probably be finding my wife a used ATV. I couldn't deal with her getting busted up on a bike. She has zero experience with them, but she does like the stability of a 4 wheeler. Besides she can put a cart on it and use it in her gardening and stuff.

ps. Do plastic flywheels blow up?
pps. If you internally remove the gov, aren't you also removing the oil slinger?

I'm in need of adjustments. All the instructions onine are pretty vague. In the diagrams I can't even tell which screw is which.
There's the slotted knurled one in the middle, and then one brass one sitting about flush with the carb right next to the air intake/air filter. Nothing on bottom but a drain, just the two.
After my cruise this morning, this is what I noticed:

It took three pulls to start. (Tried Both choke on and choke off. I can't remember which position, but I'm thinking off.
When cruising a long at a fair clip, and adding throttle, it does pretty well. Only seemed to kinda choke a stroke once or twice before taking off nicely.

When idling coasting downhill, the engine starts sounding like it gonna die, and did once.

It seems to idle a little high when standing up, but slows down and dies on the kick stand.

I appreciate your help guys. I won't be a noob forever! :eek:ut:

I finally found a tuning procedure I could understand, did it and it runs fine, except it still dies when leaned to the left.
Do you guys think maybe the float needs adjusting?

The yellow wire is the low oil sensor. If you are dying when turning this could be your problem. I cut all mine off or unplug.
It didn't do this before I put the carb on. It sounds more like fuel starvation than an electrical cut off. I'll check the oil level again anyway.

ETA: The oil level is fine.

Last edited:
I finally found a tuning procedure I could understand, did it and it runs fine, except it still dies when leaned to the left.
Do you guys think maybe the float needs adjusting?
hes right its going to be your low oil cutoff sensor.
btw,would you mind posting the mikuni tips you found as i havent tried any on my bikes yet and was debating it.

hes right its going to be your low oil cutoff sensor.
btw,would you mind posting the mikuni tips you found as i havent tried any on my bikes yet and was debating it.
What does the carb have to do with the oil sensor???

Here's another question. What does one do with the breather hole in the valve cover?
Plug it? Leave it unblocked? Stuff the right sized piece of hose in it? What?

Here's way more info than anyone might ever need on tuning a mikuni: http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Last edited:
If you have oil then unplug the yellow wire and try it. It will read low oil on turns and cut out. Usually you stuff a hose in the breather and add a small filter or run to a catch can.

If you have oil then unplug the yellow wire and try it. It will read low oil on turns and cut out. Usually you stuff a hose in the breather and add a small filter or run to a catch can.
Thank you sir. I shall try the yellow wire thing, although I don't get it. I plugged the hole in the intake cover when I installed the carb too. Maybe unblocking it will do something? what do I know?

I am pretty much the victim of the 50/50/90 rule.

Last edited:
Jeezez it's always something I guess, at least until I get it right.
I think I found a fuel delivery problem this morning, that might be my issue, I'll look at it later.

The oil sensor was not my problem. I'm guessing this^^^

Next deal. This morning I took a ride, when I got to my destination, I turned it off. When I went to start it, I almost broke my hand and ripped my arm out of its socket when I pulled the rope. There was massive compression or vacuum not allowing me to pull it easily.
I finally got it started.
What's this all about???