have you ever paid way too much for a part just because you had to have it ?

oldfatguy

Vintage Briggs Gas Cap 69961 | eBay

I guess that all of us have put a giant bid on some ebay part just because we had to get it no matter what the cost. I bought this old 5.75 hp briggs a few years ago and have been trying to find a gas cap for it ever since. It uses the old style two blade type cap so nothing else would work. Then I finally found one, and a NOS one at that. It was bid up to 15.bucks so I figured no problem just throw a big bid at the end to score it. Trouble was two other guys did the same thing but since I threw 40 at I won. It ended at 26 bucks so I'm paying almost thirty bucks for a stupid gas cap. That's more then I paid for the engine. But in the end I'm happy that I got it. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and payed way too much just to get that part that you need.

Yep, I've done that before, at the local hardware store there was a new in box oem briggs recoil assembly, and it was in a really cool old briggs box, I spent $40 on it, and I didn't even have a motor for it, it is for one similar to the motor you have pictured above.

Oh yea. The latest being an old B&S 7 hp for $80.00. I got it just because I like the way it looked, and it has the little glass sediment bowl under the gas tank. I think those are just plain cool.

paid 250$ to get a seat re upolstered and new foam 2 days before windber it was the move to the head of the line price, that made me wince a little but i will say he did a beautiful job

Vintage Briggs Gas Cap 69961 | eBay

I guess that all of us have put a giant bid on some ebay part just because we had to get it no matter what the cost. I bought this old 5.75 hp briggs a few years ago and have been trying to find a gas cap for it ever since. It uses the old style two blade type cap so nothing else would work. Then I finally found one, and a NOS one at that. It was bid up to 15.bucks so I figured no problem just throw a big bid at the end to score it. Trouble was two other guys did the same thing but since I threw 40 at I won. It ended at 26 bucks so I'm paying almost thirty bucks for a stupid gas cap. That's more then I paid for the engine. But in the end I'm happy that I got it. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and payed way too much just to get that part that you need.

I know they aren't NOS and are missing the chain and wire stop but these were what you were looking for, right?

oldfatguy

believe it or not that engine as bad as it looks actually runs like a champ. it could even be a contender in a slow idle contest. When I got it, it had a bullet hole from a .22 in the gas tank that's what that welded spot is. The engine is off of a David Bradley tractor. I thought it was cool and had to buy it. I spent about three years looking for that gas cap and was out bid a couple time on them . The guy selling them seems to have a few so I made sure that I got it this time no matter what the cost

I have a brother that does this a lot :shrug: . And now because he worked on my super bronc i will be looking for HM100 parts doing the same thing .

...have you ever paid way too much for a part just because you had to have it ?
I imagine everyone here has at some time or another. I doubt everyone will 'fess up.

My name's Tom, and I have a problem... :laugh:

The sealed beam headlamp on my '82 Honda MB5 scooter was burned out. On that bike, the engine will run if the battery's dead, but it blows the headlamp immediately. The lamp is no longer available from Honda and nothing else fits. I got into a rather spirited bidding war on ebay, and dropped just over a hundred bucks for an NOS one. That was about 10% of what I paid for the whole bike. I'll tell you, having a lamp that works has made me pay careful attention to the condition of the battery, and for the most part I leave the lamp unplugged.

Anyhow, I now cringe when I see other lamps selling for about half of what I paid, but at that moment it was worth it.

Motra

It's funny how that works. If you want something bad enough, money seems to loose its value. It just becomes a number - a number that you trade for an item you HAVE to have. Sometimes you won't spend a dollar on something you kind of want but you'll drop $100.00 like it's nothing if it's for something you gotta have.

oldfatguy

I know they aren't NOS and are missing the chain and wire stop but these were what you were looking for, right?

ouch don't do that,

well at least now I know who has the original cap from my engine. Let me know if you want to sell one. Probably not a good question now that you saw what some dopes are willing to pay for one..