Heald Super Bronc question

What is the difference between a VT-8 and a VT-10?

Is it just as simple as 8HP verses 10HP?

Was the electric start optional?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

capguncowboy

I want to say that there was a difference in the tires too. Let me check my sales brochure and I'll report back. I think it's the width of the forks.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Okay, I looked it up. Turns out I was wrong. The brochure I have only covers the VT-8 and the VT-812

The difference between those two models is that the VT-812 used the same tires front and back, so they had wider forks than the VT-8.

After looking around on a google image search, looks like the 812 and the VT-10 were the same frame and the VT-8 has narrower forks.

The only difference between the 812 and the 10 ? I'm guessing the size of the engine.

capguncowboy

I thought the 10 had the 40 series TAV and the 8 had the 30 series ...
I didn't think about that, but I don't have a 10 to verify. Did the 10 use a jackshaft instead of the TAV backplate too? I know one of them used a jackshaft set up but i didn't know if that was based on the model year or model number

Last edited:
My VT 10 has a 30 also, but I thought I heard once somewhere that it depended on the Jack shaft setup whether it had a 30 or 40 series setup, but that may be bad information.

chrisr

I think in the 80s they came out with VT1040 Super Bronc which was 10hp with the Comet 40 setup and had a metal clutch guard. The earlier 10hp Super Broncs had the Comet 30 setup.

Last edited:
I think in the 80s they came out with VT1040 Super Bronc which was 10hp with the Comet 40 setup and had a metal clutch guard. The earlier 10hp Super Broncs had the Comet 30 setup.
Yep, I had the Super Bronc II, VT-1040 with the jackshaft and disc brake .. I believe chrisr is correct.