Heald Trail Bronc VT-5 Help

I picked up this Trail Bronc VT-5 chassis the other day. At least that's what I think it is. I don't know why I bought it, but I know now. My 13 year old daughter slid some ATV tires under it and said "this'll work". I can't say no to my girls.

Anyway.... does some one have pictures of the rear axle mounting system? Also a picture of the front would be great since the lowers are missing.

ScooterBoy, I have a Trail Bronc too. You need to call Ron Kimball at PowerTec in Michigan. He has the lower forks (maybe the springs), transmission bracket, jackshaft, bearings, collars, sprocket, clutches, drive belt, band brake, levers, cables, throttle, etc. that you need. (I bought all these items from him) He may have the other parts you need, you'll have to ask. When I ordered my parts, he sent me a copy of the original assembly instructions (these bikes were kits). Let me know if you need any more info.

Tim

I almost forgot, don't cheap out and try to run it without the torque converter and jackshaft/brake assembly. You'll end up notching and re-drilling the engine plate for chain clearance which would be a shame. Besides, these are excellent adult minis when the have all their original equipment. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I agree with 64fairlane, Don't :hack: on this one lol. Also your bike looks like it is a VT-7, So the right engine should be an H70 Tecumseh :thumbsup:

Ruppster81, ScooterBoy's Bronc looks just like my VT-3, which is the same thing as a VT-5 except for the color and model number. What makes you think it's a VT-7? :confused:

I went by this to identify it. It was all I could find. LATE 1970's HEALD BROCHURES

I'm not sure how much $$ I want to put into at this time so I don't know that it will be a correct Restoration this time around.......But I promise I won't cut anything:hack:

Close up pics of the rear axle mount or jackshaft mount, tec. would be appreciated. If it's easier, I'll PM you my email address to send the pictures to.

It could very well be a VT-3, It looks as they used the same frame as the VT-5 & VT-7. I was just checking and its the VT-2 and the VT2C that used the smaller frame. They made to many models :doah:

Larry, your VT-1012 probably has a "Torque-A-Verter". This system consists of a plate mounted to the motor, that holds a bearing, that holds the driven clutch with a sprocket right behind it. The chain would be on the left side as you ride it. On the VT-3, and VT-5 (same bike, one is blue the other red respectively), a jackshaft is used, and the chain is on the right side as you ride it. The extra four bolt holes are for the jackshaft mount. :wink:

Thanks for all the help. I will be contacting Ron Kimball as 64fairlane suggested. I'll see what his parts run, hopefully reasonable and I can get the main parts I need. I think the fork lowers and jackshaft mount should be done "as original"

ScooterBoy, here are some prices (from two years ago):

lower fork tubes..........$18.76 pair
front springs...............$19.18 pair
transmission bracket....$29.50
sprocket.....................$19.55
bearings.....................$7.77 each
brake drum.................$18.69
brake band..................$22.14
clutch (engine).............$75.32
driven clutch................$84.09
belt............................$13.72
jackshaft.....................$17.71
brake cable..................$19.75
throttle cable................$19.75
brake lever..................$18.30
throttle.......................$16.34
you'll need little stuff like collars, keys, pins, spacers. I spent alot of dough, but it was all quality stuff, fairly priced, and this is the best mini bike I've ever ridden. I hope this helps, good luck!

Tim

ScooterBoy, let us know what's up after calling PowerTec. It would be nice to know what's available (if they're still in business), and if the prices have changed.

All right....I just talked to Ron Kimball. What a great guy. He's mailing me my assembly drawing and parts list right away. Then I can start ordering my parts. As far as pricing, he said he only increases his prices as neccesary to cover manufacturing costs.

I have the original....but it sat outside with the frame for who knows how many years. I can make a new board, I don't know if the foam is good or not. The vinyl cover cracks wherever you squeeze it. What would you charge??

BTW- I have a Bonanza chopper seat that I was told was recovered by you.

NICE JOB !!!:thumbsup:

kbs8ball

Did you buy Gregs chopper???...that was my first one..I just made the cover for it...I didnt think it came out that great but it was for Greg so I said F it. LOL :thefinger:

Yeah, bought Greg's. Haven't done anything with it yet. I need to set up and build forks for 3 of 'em.
On the VT-5 seat, I'll keep it in mind. I need to buy quite a few parts to start, so I'm gonna let my wife try to copy it first. If there's $$$ left for that project after the parts I have to buy, I'll get a hold of you.