Heathkit Hilltopper, put a new front tire on ...

Normally it would be a who cares topic ....

Stock tire size is 5.30x4.50-6

I could not find that size in a similar tread pattern but was able to find a similar tread pattern in a 15x6.00-6.

Its slightly wider and shorter than stock ... I wasnt sure it would fit but got one any way and yes, it fits great!

So if your looking to replace your weather rotted front tire and keep the tread pattern then your in luck!

Thanks for the compliment Docdc ... The wife and I each have one in about the same condition .. we ride them regularly in the summer and the rotting tires have had me concerened ... I just ordered one for my Hilltopper!
The rears are easy to find in that stock style tread pattern ...

No, the play is in the tubes ... other than make new tubes i'm not sure how to correct it ...

Saturday I think I may pull my Hilltoppers H-50 down and see how she looks .. new piston, rings ... mabye mill the head ... polish the ports .. dunno ...

Here are a few pics ... the first one makes the old tire look considerably taller but the 2nd pic is more accurate ... I posted both so you can make your own decision. Blame it on my lack of picture-taking skills!
The last 2 pics are clearance between the tire and fork tube.

The tire has the max 30lbs of air in it.

Thanks

The tread is spot on and your right the first pic makes it look much shorter.
Really hate to change the original tire but I might have to due to cracking.I gotta look at mine closer when it gets nicer out.

Weather checking was a big concern as we ride ours often in the summer ... blowing a tire at speed could hurt!

Here are a couple more pics to give you a better idea of tire diameter difference ...

The way the tread blends in with the sidewall is a little different ...

I will keep the old tire ... just in case ...
Discount tire charged me $10 to swap them out ...

capguncowboy

Weather checking was a big concern as we ride ours often in the summer ... blowing a tire at speed could hurt!

Here are a couple more pics to give you a better idea of tire diameter difference ...

The way the tread blends in with the sidewall is a little different ...

I will keep the old tire ... just in case ...
Discount tire charged me $10 to swap them out ...
$10 sounds like a lot until you change one yourself. Never again! It's money well spent!

Agreed Capgun!
I have cussed and bent wheels, they don't even mess up the patina!

One thing I am learning tho is if you want it on straight and not wobbly have them remove it, then clean up the edge where the bead sits with a 90-degree grinder with a scotch bright disc on it then lay it face down and paint it. Makes for a nice smooth surface to set the bead evenly.

I had to do that with my ATV tire on the Super Bronc, it holds 10 Lbs max and they couldn't get it on evenly ... went back 3 times.
This time they got the Hilltopper tire on but it was a little off .. not so bad that I need to correct it but enough to confirm that when changing a tire cleaning and painting will help get it on right.
I have a tire coming for my other Hilltopper and I will do it like that.

*Note*
When you take the wheel to Discount (or where ever) you have to remove the bearings.