Help me save face, I am soo close

Ok, I will try to keep this short. My fiance has had this little mini bike in her garage for a few years, said her ex-husband said he would fix it for years and never got to it. So Mr. Hotshot here says just call me "Scooter" and what me get er' done. Making things worse I followed it with the ol "when I say I am going to do something...I do it!" Ugh. So I drained the old gas, bought new battery, fuel filter and a few other things. So go figure I can't get this thing to run. I have really enjoyed going back to my days of high school autoshop, I have taken the carb off and cleaned it, re-installed it but I can't seem to get it to run without out straight starter fluid being sprayed into it.

So here we go with questions...

1. I am not sure the carborator gas lines are correctly hooked up, I believe its a PZ-19, have found plenty of images online but no that tell me exactly what hoses go where?

2. I couldn't find the exact fuel filter but did buy one. I am just trying to get this running without it for now just to eliminate possible problems so I do need to know if I can leave it off for right now (go straight from the tank to carb)?

3. There are a few screws/needle adjustments, I need to know after cleaning carb what position should I start with? Meaning how many turns from tight?

4. Lastly and most importantly how to get this to run? I have everything hooked up, it will run a bit (choke has to be on) on starter fluid but can't keep it running without. The gas line is feeding it plenty of gas, the bowl of the carb is full, spark plug is fine.

I have no idea what the model, its an older cheap china built automatic 50cc with electric start. I have plenty of pics.

I really would appreciate any help, she was really screwed over and treated badly from this guy and this would be really cool thing for me to get going for her daughter. I appreciate any time and help anyone can give me. Cheers.

buckeye

Welcome to the site. that isn't something most folks on here mess with. Someone may know something about them and help ya get in good graces.

Some of those things can be a real pain in the butt. A lot of them don't have any real adjustment.. If there is any adjustment in the main jet fuel, you will have to take the slider out of the top of the carb, pull the long needle out,, then move the clip that holds the needle in place, to richen or lean the flow...

Idle fuel will be a screw with retainer spring SOMEWHERE in the body of the carb, somewhere between the intake and the middle of the carb where the slider is happening... Most of the old Mikunis were in the bottom of the carb body, screwed in up towards the throat of the carb, like right near where the carb meets the intake manifold..

Some are in the side of the body, and kinda penetrate down in at an angle right up near the intake...

The Idle speed screw is right in the side of the carb, where the slider is sliding.. It's in the one picture.. Screw that screw in, and the slider can only fall down so far.. The farther ya screw it in, the farther the slider stays open... It's best to hold the throttle open, adjust the screw, then release the throttle and let the slider fall into the screw, and not just screw the screw directly into the slider, where you could do damage to it...

Best thing you can do probably is make sure the float and needle and seat are all working, and you KNOW the bowl is full of gas.... Then hold the throttle about 1/3 of the way open, like a real good high winding idle speed, or even 1/2 or even WIDE open... THEN throw a little gas down it's throat and pull it over....

Those things are usually real lean from the factory.. Don't like to run at all unless they are warmed up.. Be prepared to hold the throttle half open and get the thing really humming and KEEP the rpm's up as much as need be to keep it running.... If you know the carb is even BASICALLY CLEAN, it should run on the main jet, at (above an idle)

Then you'll have to start backing the speed down and find out how low you can run it, set the idle speed to there, and start playing with idle fuel adjustments, if you ave any...

Looks like I can order a new carb off ebay or amazon for a little over $20. While it goes against my nature not to spend days trying to fix something like this it likely doesn't make sense given we are leaving camping on Friday. I really appreciate the help, I will likely spend a little more time on it and if any other ideas/fixes come that is great.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

on most boards there would have been 10 bs answers about that scooter, helping the guy out without the bs shows the class of folks on here.

Good people on here,I'm glad I found this place!

zeeman

Just a few thoughts. If that carb is similar to the Honda Z50's carb, be sure to pay attention to how the slide is oriented when it comes out of the top of the carb. It will probably have two grooves in it. One catches on a little pin-like protrusion inside the slide, and the other side goes in and rides near the adjustment needle. on the outside of the carb. Take that carb off and clean all the passages well with carb cleaner, rinse with a strong spray of water, then blow everything out really well with compressed air. Restore Kid gave some good advice. I usually start at about one and one quarter turns out from seated, but again, this is on Honda Z's. Let us know how you make out with her, ugghh, I mean the minibike. Good luck.

I have a crf50 style pit bike that has a 125cc engine on it. Your engine looks like a Lifan 110cc engine,Those china bikes have been putting those small carburetors on the bigger engines to meet EPA emissions. My 125cc bike came with a tiny round slide pz carb on it, I swapped it out. You may want to get a bigger carburetor. I run a 20mm Kehien style carb on a 110 Lifan engine i have.

Update

Thanks again, ordered new cheap carb It seemed to measure out as the same carb on it but given I don't even know the model, make or year of this bike (suspect its a 50cc) at this point I am just hoping for the best.

Just as expected I could not just wait for new carb to show up so I removed and cleaned old carb again and tried to get it started. Still not sure the one hose I have from the tank is all I need to hook up. Seems like there are 2 other gas line connectors to do something with. I put a hose on the bottom nipple of the gas reservoir that houses the float assembly. Anyway, Reconnected and same result. It will start and rev up a bit as long as I feed it starter fluid, choke must be on and seems like I need to keep twisting the gas a bit to barely keep it running. It seems idle for about 20 secs when it is running out of starting fluid, this not consist either. One thing that might relevant is that when I adjust the manual choke as I turn on and off while it runs on fluid I feel a little bit of a vibration/noise below the carb.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190576000990

Last edited:
Are you sure thats a 49cc engine, I recently bought one of those Chinese minichoppers with a 49cc and the carb on it looks smaller than your carb. Your engine might be bigger than 49 cc.
Can you post some close ups of the engine and the carb?

You don't want to run it to long on that starting fluid as it will wash the oil off the cylinder walls.
Like the other guys said its probably just a gummed up carb, put the new one on when it comes and soak the old carb in some carb cleaner. Get some welding tip cleaners and clean the low idle jet and the high speed jet.

Thanks. It's just small so I assumed it was a 50cc. I will post a few more pics, funny that is such a big mystery, I grew up with Hondas. Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this project.

zeeman

That hose on the bottom is just an overflow/vent line. The only gas line should be from around the middle of the carb to the tank.

It should run.. They are cheap chinese crap, but it's still a honda 70 for the most part.. :laugh:

Look at the side of the jug to see what size the motor is.. Then look around maybe for a known to be OK used old 1974 Honda CT90 carb or something equivilent size to what your bike is...

Side of the jug says 109CC Find an old Honda CT90 scooter carb or early ATC90 carb.. Maybe an early ATC110 carb if ya can find an older style one... :shrug: Actually I even probably have a few...

Carb arrived, of course a question

Thanks again for all the help. Just got back from 3 days of camping in the rain, the carb didn't arrive on friday so it was on the doorstep when I got home today. I did buy the pz19 carb with manual choke, everything looks to fit well but I need to make sure I understand how to connect the throttle cable. Before I start pulling pins on the new one I figured I would admit to being a bit of a rookie and just ask. The new one does look different but I think it may just be a plastic piece for shipping and two pins to hold it in....or is. Here is the a pic of the new carb and the gold spring that came with it. Here is a picture of my existing throttle cable as well. Any help is appreciated!

zeeman

Hey, I'm not sure what your new carb's slide looks like, but it should be similar to the old one. Loosen some slack into the cable after sliding that black rubber boot back away from the top of the carb. The spring will always be in the way, but you need to look at the way it is set up now, and then take it apart. The new slide should work very similar. There will be a small 'keeper' of some kind that keeps the end of the throttle cable attached to the slide, and allows it to move as a single piece with the cable. It's sorta hard for me to splain, but look at what you have and try to transfer that over to your new carb. Good luck.