HELP! Ruttman forks ruined my paint job!

Hi Guys,
Am I missing something here? I reassembled my Ruttman after painting and the forks chip away at the paint on the top tubes.
Is there supposed to be a stopper somewhere?

45t

Happens to a lot of folks after reassembly. Something cheap you can do is get some of the automotive door edge trim protector strip that's sold at auto parts stores. You can cut a small piece that goes along the edge of your forks that are making contact with the frame. It'll soften the impact of the forks touching the frame but at least it will not chip the paint. If your lucky maybe you can even find the door edge trim in black, that way you'll hardly notice it mounted on your forks.

Happens to a lot of folks after reassembly. Something cheap you can do is get some of the automotive door edge trim protector strip that's sold at auto parts stores. You can cut a small piece that goes along the edge of your forks that are making contact with the frame. It'll soften the impact of the forks touching the frame but at least it will not chip the paint. If your lucky maybe you can even find the door edge trim in black, that way you'll hardly notice it mounted on your forks.

Great idea. I'll try that. Thank you.

markus

I have to "Markus proof" my bikes

View attachment 66588

Clear electrical tape works for like where kickstands touch the frame when up and even wrapping around the tubing where the forks meet as well, Just gotta use clean rubber gloves or not touch the sticky side or that will show

dunno if you can see the little square there or not:

View attachment 66589

The clear tubing is a little bulky but its safe for a manchild such as myself, Yes they look like Stevie Wonder cut them, they are just chunks I cut and have at the ready to stick on the tubing in spots when I build (these bikes are both still just rollers). I'm so used to them being on the bike that I think I may just make "nicely" cut ones with just a dab of clear silicone so they wont move/slide when the bike is in use.

View attachment 66590 View attachment 66591

Bobscooters

i used the large clear tubing like Markus posted but switched to a clear piece of 3/8 tubing and put it on back edge of fork where it makes contact with frame - just sliced it down middle.

I have to "Markus proof" my bikes

View attachment 66588

Clear electrical tape works for like where kickstands touch the frame when up and even wrapping around the tubing where the forks meet as well, Just gotta use clean rubber gloves or not touch the sticky side or that will show

dunno if you can see the little square there or not:

View attachment 66589

The clear tubing is a little bulky but its safe for a manchild such as myself, Yes they look like Stevie Wonder cut them, they are just chunks I cut and have at the ready to stick on the tubing in spots when I build (these bikes are both still just rollers). I'm so used to them being on the bike that I think I may just make "nicely" cut ones with just a dab of clear silicone so they wont move/slide when the bike is in use.

View attachment 66590 View attachment 66591
More great ideas. Thank you !

buckeye

I use clear self stick oval rubber pads you use on the back of pictures to keep them from rubbing the wall.

Just stick them on the frame where the forks hit.

Fixed! I have some 7/64 vacuum tubing. Cut off a few inches for each side. Split it one side and it clamped on the fork plate nice and tight.
It hardly shows. It's not as ugly as gouges in the paint. Now all I have to do is touch-up the paint.
Thanks for the ideas. You guys are very helpful.