Help stripping paint on 3hp briggs

Just picked up a 3hp briggs and it is painted black. Anyone know a good way to remove all paint on the entire engine? i have paint stripper and a pressure washer. what do you guys recommend?

I'm going to strip my Briggs NP for a repaint, I bought a hand held sand blaster and a 20lb bag of Soda Bicarbonate (from Costco). I haven't started yet but I'll let you know how it goes, my paint is mostly gone anyways.

Oldsalt

Will it be okay to use paint stripper on everything? like the block/ head? Should I repaint it after? Or just leave it bare metal?
Here is my opinion on the subject. If it is a real collector item that is undergoing a full restoration the time spent removing the old original finish would of course be time well spent. However we have hear a common 3 HP Briggs. All later model Briggs engines are painted with a very thin single coat of color. No primer. It is easy, after thoroughly cleaning the engine, to blend chipped paint and then add a light coat of primer and touch that up with fine paper and then spray the color. In short, the org. paint is so thin that chips and scratches are not deep like on an automobile. Don't remove the thin original finish as there will be very little to gain for all the trouble.

The 3 HP engine in the picture is really nice [as far as I am concerned] and was not a big project to paint. Took off the tank and shroud and other easily removable parts, brushed the engine with gasoline, sprayed it down with Brake Cleaner. Repeated that once more. Then a light coat of prime, sand a little and then reassemble the engine less air filter. The original engines were painted after assembly at the factory so, IMHO, that is the thing to do. Tape off the spark plug wire and pull start handle and etc. Then spray the color. It will look like a new engine.

PS: The engine should have the oil drained before you start. That way you can freely turn the engine into any position while cleaning without fear of oil being a problem. Paint the engine on a 'post'. That way you can see, and paint, any and all surfaces that will ever be seen when it is installed in the machine.

Oldsalt thanks for your advice! That looks great! What paint did you use? Did you rebuild it? If so, did it have alot more power after? I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. It's a 1987 so it's time for a rebuild in my high school small gas engines class! I got all gaskets and the chrome style piston rings. Let's hope it runs strong after I'm done

Oldsalt

Oldsalt thanks for your advice! That looks great! What paint did you use? Did you rebuild it? If so, did it have alot more power after? I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. It's a 1987 so it's time for a rebuild in my high school small gas engines class! I got all gaskets and the chrome style piston rings. Let's hope it runs strong after I'm done
No, it was not rebuilt...the engine was perfect condition except for scrapes and dings. I have come to the conclusion that the absolute best rattle can paint is the MRO line from Seymour. See pic. Hell, Seymour invented aerosol spray paint! The MRO line is what a truck shop or business like that would use. My son buys it for his shop and I just go take what I want and occasionally ask for a special color to be ordered. It is so far superior to the Rust 0 Leum and that other garbage that is found at an ACE and etc. hardware store that there is no comparison. However, I don't think I have ever seen the stuff in a regular store. The black on the Briggs and the old bike is MRO Gloss Black spray can.

Good luck with the rebuild. I'm glad to hear that your school has such a class. That is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7TLdfjLgc

Here is a video I just did for my 8hp Briggs I'm working on
Paint stripped, wire wool and a small wire wheel on a dremel worked great for me