He's back! And I need a custom headlight

Hey all,

I don't think I've posted for a year. I've dusted off the Manco Streaker I bought about a year ago and now my oldest kid is big enough to drive it. So I started scanning Craigslist for another minibike.

Well, an ad popped up for a Mini Baja for a steal, so I snagged it. This is the 5.5 HP version with the headlight and fake tank. The guy told me he had 10 responses to his ad in 5 hours. :)

Anyway, it needs some work, but the former owner bought the parts. The only thing he didn't have that the bike really needed was a new headlight assembly. I have all the wiring, but the one I have is just whipped.

So, I know that I can buy a new headlight assembly for $40, but I was thinking for that price, there might be something aftermarket that is stouter. So can anyone make a recommendation? Something, hopefully metal, that will bolt right one? I guess I could splice the wiring with the existing wiring. Any pix of this new "transplant"?

Thanks,

Steve

A follow up question. Are these headlights AC or DC? If DC, any idea what the voltage is? I suspect they are AC and they just rob power from the spark plug or something. What is "normal"?

They use a lighting coil and magnets on the flywheel to produce DC voltage. A standard 12 volt light is what you want. If you have the governor removed you could have a problem blowing light bulbs.

light

Looking through the sight would help you out,the way i understand it most lawnmower engines dont have a charging system,some run a battery they charge up beforehand,one guy uses LED lights because they suck less juice.If not a truck stop or northern tool would have 12 volt lights,you need to figure how much juice you have available if you have a charging system.

joekd

They use a lighting coil and magnets on the flywheel to produce DC voltage. A standard 12 volt light is what you want. If you have the governor removed you could have a problem blowing light bulbs.
Actually no, they create AC current, found this out when testing the circuit on mine.

I used a LED 12V 3157 bulb in mine, no gov, no volt regulator and it works fine

Actually no, they create AC current, found this out when testing the circuit on mine.

Thanks. So you're saying you just dropped the bulb in the original housing? Or did you put it in another housing? I think I need a new bucket for the light. But it seems like after shopping around, my best alternative is to pay the $40 for the plastic excuse of a light on there now. I was hoping one of you guys transplanted a metal housing.

So if I were to just pull an old light assembly off an old motorcycle and splice the wires, would it work? Or would it work if I put a LED bulb into it and then just spliced it on?

Hey, since I'm asking questions, how hard is it to put a custom gas tank on there? Do most of them just straddle the bar and bolt on? How do they attach?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Steve

joked is correct. Thanks for correcting me, :doah: it's always best to proof read, especially when your giving others advise!

In the words of Peter Griffen, "Freakin' Awesome!"

So to clarify, the end of the wire that plugs into the bulb holder was cut and a new bulb holder specific to the LED bulb was put on there, correct? And then the bulb holder was glued in, right?

The other end of the wire, where it plugs in near the engine was left alone, right?

And lastly, it looks like the wires themselves are only two wires...positive and negative...no ground wire to fuss with...so it should not matter which way it is hooked up (i.e., it can't be wired in backward)...is that right?

Sorry to dummy it down...but I'm a dummy.

So this approach can be used with almost any light bucket that uses a small bulb. One of my problems is my housing assembly itself is broken.

Steve

joekd

That is correct, cut out the OEM retainer and epoxy in a 3157 socket (I used 2 wire one, they also make 3 wire ones but you will only use one "hot" wire if you get that kind)

Two wires go from the socket to the OEM motor wiring (just cut off the old wire ends near the headlight and spliced in the new ones)

I still have a spare 2 wire 3157 socket, if you find a headlight housing and want it let me know, I will toss it in the mail for you for the same price I paid for the whole wiring harness with sockets included....FREE

I got a head light & rear tail light with a scrub wheel generator on e bay
the head light is 12 volts and the rear light is 2.5 volt and the generator
puts out 12 & 2.5 volts hooked it up to my front wheel of the db30
its really for a bicycle