Hit a deer riding my motorcycle.

MarksA-C

I have not been here that much for the past year or so, sold off most of my bikes when I got financially stressed a while ago. I will say that I am back into this hobby. I still have my Trailmate and also my Elburro sand n' snow bike. Both will hopefully get redone and finished...soon...

Date was September 8th, 2013. Roughly 1:30am heading eastbound on US18 towards Milwaukee from Madison. It was late but was probably one of the most beautiful rides I had ever had on my Suzuki Drz400s. Road was still a little warm from the sun beating down on it all day so I could corner beautifully, bike gave me full confidence and I was just toolin' along home enjoying the crisp night air and waiting to get home and see my girlfriend. Then blurriness and I wake up in the hospital with an arm sling and a neck brace. I had hit a deer, I don't remember anything from a few miles before the crash site to waking up in the hospital. It scares me, the fact of it being that close to forever blackness. I was found unconscious on the side of the road and face down, bike was trashed, deer was dead. I don't know yet who found me on the road, but I do owe them my life. I was told by the police officer who was first on scene that I came in and out of consciousness while there. Him stressing that I stayed laying down and not to move until EMTs arrived. Me cursing up a storm when I was conscious. I was taken by ambulance to the Aurora Medical Center in Summit, WI and went through the usual ER stuff and got a CAT scan. Don't remember any of that stuff either.

Overall I spent 2 nights and 3 days in the Hospital. Had broken my right collar bone in 2 places with some bad fragmentation as well. Got 8 screws and a schnazzy metal plate put in there to fix that. Otherwise there was minor road rash, bruised ankle, and a badly sprained thumb. My $500 worth of gear saved me a lot of pain and also saved my life. I hit my head bad enough to get knocked out, if I hadn't of been wearing my helmet I wouldn't be here to talk about it. I learned good habits from great riders and played this riding season smart. Feeling some effects of PTSS even though I don't want to think about it. I'm freaking out at times and I can't sleep. Its a very stressful situation now in my life besides the recovering from an accident as I'm quitting my old job and stuck waiting to recover to start my new one.

I'm not going to end this saying that this "Event changed my life" but some things will not change and some will. I'm going to treat things differently. I lost my DRZ, all my gear, and 2 month of working. I DO still have my Girlfriend, Parents, Friends, CBR, the Sabre, My truck, my toys, MY LIFE.

Last edited:
WOW!! Very tramatic to say the least!! Glad your on the mend!! :thumbsup: I have 6 or 8 scews and a plate "with sharp edges" holding my left collar bone together from a mt. biking accident in 2001. You would think for a $50,000.00 plus surgical bill they could have at least rounded the edges on the plate!! :laugh: Good luck in your endevors Mark and take nothing for granted!! :drinkup:

So glad to hear your on the mend! What a horrifying experience that must have been.
Its also good to hear you did not sell all your bikes !

I had a deer glance off my leg late at night...ever since.. Its always on my mind when riding in the dark.

toomanytoys

Hit a deer riding my motorcycle.
If a deer was riding my motorcycle I'd hit him too!

Your experience is exactly why I stay away from bikes. An accident even at low speed can cause serious harm.

I know what you mean about the post traumatic after the accident. I wrecked a car in 2005 and it was pretty terrible. Won't go into details to derail your thread. I had a terrible time sleeping, I'd have nightmares, and certain smells that resembled the air bag smell would set me to shaking.

matt2

I'm glad your getting better. I hope your sleep time gets better sooner than later. Keep up the good fight Mark and it is nice to know who your real friends are isn't it. :scooter:< that's a mini bike it is a sunny day and no deer around. Good luck Matt

...My $500 worth of gear saved me a lot of pain and also saved my life. I hit my head bad enough to get knocked out, if I hadn't of been wearing my helmet I wouldn't be here to talk about it...
All the gear, every time. Anyone who rides without a helmet just, well...oh, heck, why bother? They still won't get it.

Glad you came through this one. You'll be back on two wheels in no time. :thumbsup: Here's a pic of a deer my buddy clobbered on his Moto Guzzi about 25 years ago. My pal did not crash, but the deer was badly injured. Buddy got out his pistol and put it down.

incogrhino

Almost hit deers on my bike also. They are much bigger when your not in a vehicle. Blew the bike up. Probably a good thing. Good to hear your OK.