Home made Super Bronc Muffler

Here are a few pictures of my home made super bronc vt8-12 muffler. I made it out of 3 inch exhaust tubing and 3/4 inch tubing for the inlet and exit pipes. I cut out and welded 2 discs into the inside of the exhaust tubing with holes drilled randomly throughout to equal the volume of the 3/4 inlet pipe.. I then shaped 2 ends and welded in place.. The exhaust is quieter than the engine except at wide open throttle. It is slightly smaller in diameter than the Nelson muffler but it is the same length.

Attachments

Cool. Did you build that muffler yourself? If so, what's inside? I'd love to do something like this for my Pack Mule. It would be cool if it was as quiet as my Honda Trail 70.

Joe

Sprocket86

Awesome! I've always thought the Healds were super cool because they had this elaborate exhaust system. I bet many of the original muffler parts are very difficult to come by and rusted out many moons ago.

This muffler is extremely quiet at idle, the engine is louder than the muffler. The more discs inserted into the muffler the quieter it is. I like mine to have a little rumble to it at wide open throttle so I only inserted 2 discs. You could easily install 6 plus discs and it would be whisper quiet. The discs are 3 inch diameter .060 inch thick. I drilled the discs out with a drill bit to match the volume of the 3/4 exhaust inlet. I then tack welded them in place. I made this myself in about 2 hours time. I have the factory Nelson muffler for this bike along with the factory engine. I use this as my camping trail bike so I saved the engine and muffler for my other vt-8 that I am restoring. Thw little container you se by the muffler holds my off road registration and insurance paperwork.

This muffler is extremely quiet at idle, the engine is louder than the muffler. The more discs inserted into the muffler the quieter it is. I like mine to have a little rumble to it at wide open throttle so I only inserted 2 discs. You could easily install 6 plus discs and it would be whisper quiet. The discs are 3 inch diameter .060 inch thick. I drilled the discs out with a drill bit to match the volume of the 3/4 exhaust inlet. I then tack welded them in place.
Excellent info. Thanks! I'm going to have to give one a try.
Joe