how do you tell between an "old" predator and a "new" predator?

I am thinking of doing a transplant on my minibike because my stock engine requires a full rebuild.

I looked at my local Harbor Freight and they have the predator 212 on sale for $119

I then searched the interweb to see what goodies are available, and all the honda clone parts say for the "old" style with a stamped head... I found one site that says the "new" style has a cast head.

some forum posts dating back 2 years now mention old and new engines

Here's the question.. The harbor freight add currently shows an engine with a stamped valve covers.

So are ALL predators with stamped valve covers considered "old"... why is a brand new 2013 engine considered old when the "new" model was available 2 years ago.

please someone help before I buy something I can (or can't) get upgrades for.

I bought a predator about two years ago and and it did not have that gas tank vent hose that travels to the air box , also the old predators had the gas tank fill cap on the air box side in the corner and the new predators have the gas cap on the muffler side in the middle, hope I helped you:thumbsup: that usually happens with stores they will show an old model in their ads but sell the new models in stores

oh boy... well how do you tell a hemi from the outside?

Basically, if I buy a H.F. predator tomorrow from their store is it old or new? or somewhere inbetween? I've never seen a cast valve cover on any of their engines.

I guess maybe I'll just buy one and worry about "old or new" once I see what I have.

I was thinking about the flywheel mod and it seems to matter regarding taper or size/setup if it's old or new... just not sure how to tell them apart without both in front of me

rmm727

The cast valve cover is pretty obvious. I guess the boxes show it as well. Also heard you can peak in one of the grab handle holes and sneak a peak.

In our local Harbor Freight store, the brand new predators have 60363 on the box. The other predators have a number starting with 7xxxx. The boxes are stacked with each other so you have to look closely to see which one you grab. Also there is a slightly different picture of the engine on the two boxes.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator-engines/79144-new-predator-model-60363-210fa.html
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bikes-parts-wanted/81966-wanted-predator-hemi.html

In our local Harbor Freight store, the brand new predators have 60363 on the box. The other predators have a number starting with 7xxxx. The boxes are stacked with each other so you have to look closely to see which one you grab. Also there is a slightly different picture of the engine on the two boxes.
hmmmm

if you go to the main page and type in "predator engine" two 212cc models come up, an EPA and a EPA + CARB... 69730 and 69727 respectively

The pictures for both show stamped chrome plated valve covers.

If you type in 60363 as a part number 69730 comes up.

I can't even find a single picture of a cast valve cover in those links so I guess I'm not very good at the internet.

I actually lifted this pic from a post from another member... I just like the sad wow face it makes
I posted that.

It is a very sad looking face, but it was a huge technical leap forward for diesel engine technology.
Behind that frown is the comet precup designed by Sir Harry Ricardo.
The father of Octane rating and understanding the effects of turbulence and flame speed in gasoline and diesel engines.

The high speed diesel in first Mercedes 260D, and ultra high performance engines like the Napier Saber owe him a huge debt...

Old predators and old dolphins....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDvA7Emeb0

I bought my 6.5 Predator about six months ago, the box number is 69727 (CARB). I also heard that the value cover is shaped differently than the other, the older engine has a hexagon shape, the newer engine has a octagon shape. Don't know if it's true, :shrug:

I can't believe there is so much ambiguity.

That's the generall impression I get with chinese stuff.. it looks and works OK but nobody in the supply chain says much about updates or info. They come with terrible or non-existant manuals with no real support.. it's almost surreal.

I guess that's the price of low price.

so I'm gonna get one and see what happens :)

Well. I got a predator. It has a chrome valve cover. Had it in the rupp in less than an bour and was driving after 2 hours. (its always the details that slow you down)

At low idle my stock clutch is engaging, is there any way to lower the idle?

I need an exhaust to keep from burning the leg but the stock air box fit with some trimming.

It's definately a tight fit and maybe not the ultimate packaging for a rupp, but the price was right.

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing a transplant on my minibike because my stock engine requires a full rebuild.

I looked at my local Harbor Freight and they have the predator 212 on sale for $119

I then searched the interweb to see what goodies are available, and all the honda clone parts say for the "old" style with a stamped head... I found one site that says the "new" style has a cast head.

some forum posts dating back 2 years now mention old and new engines

Here's the question.. The harbor freight add currently shows an engine with a stamped valve covers.

So are ALL predators with stamped valve covers considered "old"... why is a brand new 2013 engine considered old when the "new" model was available 2 years ago.

please someone help before I buy something I can (or can't) get upgrades for.
The epa and epa carb are diffrent because the carb has to be on it to be sold in california. This is why and what i mean: The EPA is a federal governmental agency that works to develop and enforce regulations that implement environmental laws enacted by Congress.

CARB is a California governmental agency that promotes and protects public health, welfare and ecological resources through the reduction of air pollutants.

As i understand it the hemi preditors arnt being sold right now because they didnt fully meet EPA standards and will be re-released this year sometime.