How much Powder for Powder Coating?

capguncowboy

I am getting ready to send my frame off for powder coating. Before I do, I've got to order the color I want. How much powder should I order? It comes in pounds. It would probably be best to have a little extra in case there are any mishaps or it requires a second round of coating.

I'm coating a 1970 Roadster frame, swingarm, footpegs, fork mid, and maybe one or two other small pieces I forgot to mention before.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CarPlayLB

Mu guy always charges me for 5lbs, but I think he only uses 3-3.5lbs on most frames. Make sure you have him tape off the throttle side of the bars too! That stuff is hard to get off!

capguncowboy

Did you ask the guy doing it? He would probably have a good idea,
He hasn't actually seen the bike yet. I described it and he gave me a ballpark estimate on labor if I bought the powder.

After reading on the suppliers site a little more, it says that 1 pound will cover 30 square feet. I think I'll just order 2 pounds since I don't think 1 will be enough, but I would hope that two was more than enough.

capguncowboy

That's a really nice color!
I'm am so excited about it, that I'm a little giddy -- I saw the color on their site and immediately declared that I must do a bike in that color. There is an orange in the same color family that's closer to original, but I really don't really care for orange (and my other favorite bike is orange anyway). I know, I know -- University of Tennessee and all... maybe that's why?

1 pound should be enough to do any mini bike frame. Since I pretty much only coat stuff for myself and a few close friends and family the only thing I buy more than 1 pound at a time is black and "chrome".

capguncowboy

I spoke to the coater again this morning. He said I should order 5 pounds ??? That seems like a lot. The supplier claims that 1 pound covers 30 sq feet. I can't imagine that my Roadster would require enough to coat 150 feet -- not even close.

I ordered 2 pounds of the color and 2 pounds of the clear. If he says that's not enough, I'll just find someone else to do it

I spoke to the coater again this morning. He said I should order 5 pounds ??? That seems like a lot. The supplier claims that 1 pound covers 30 sq feet. I can't imagine that my Roadster would require enough to coat 150 feet -- not even close.

I ordered 2 pounds of the color and 2 pounds of the clear. If he says that's not enough, I'll just find someone else to do it
I buy 2 lb. per color. That is more powder than it takes to shoot a full-size motorcycle frame, swingarm, and small parts combined. I'm with Ajf, a minibike frame won't even take a pound.

capguncowboy

you also need to buy clear if the coater doesnt have it. That color will not activate unless you do a clear topcoat, must have, but a damn nice color when done right.

edit: just read you got it figured out
:thumbsup:

I'm really excited about this. I've been drooling over that green since I first saw a Cat mini bike that color almost a year ago. I can't wait to have it on one of my bikes!