How to clean out fuel tube

Duke

Hey Everyone,
I am Duke and I just bought my son his first minibike. I have taken a couple of photos.
We have taken off the seat and the carb and fuel tank.
The previous owner said that the fuel tube was clogged.
Any suggestion on how this tube comes out, unscrew it ? press fitted?
It has a model # 080232-2222-01 B&S engine.
Thanks
Duke

Duke

I looked on the B&s website then found the illustrated parts list and the operators manual.
On the parts list it is called out as a large fuel pipe or pick up tube.

joekd what is the 6.5 conversion?

I am also thinking about making a "chain guard" for more protection from the clutch and chain if anyone has any ideas.

joekd

its for his kid it would be a great father and son project to fix the briggs it wont take much but they will learn plenty
My post in the other thread he made says that if the motor torns out to be too much of a problem consider the 6.5 conversion. I was not saying to just do it no matter what.

The Manco kart was our first true father/son build that started with just a frame. He has so much pride in it he shows it off at car shows parked next to me so I understand the build and bond together.

I just looked at his pics, its a small bike IMO a clone would be way over kill. I dont know anything about those Briggs carbs, wheres The Restore Kid when you need him

My post in the other thread he made says that if the motor torns out to be too much of a problem consider the 6.5 conversion. I was not saying to just do it no matter what.

The Manco kart was our first true father/son build that started with just a frame. He has so much pride in it he shows it off at car shows parked next to me so I understand the build and bond together.
sorry that I misunderstood

Sorry for the confusion I caused. I will keep the threads seperate from now on.

I think that the tube will un-screw from the carb but if it breaks can I get a replacement?

Is there a website that some of you guys would recommend?

Thanks
Duke

you can pry the screen out of the bottom if its that bad and spray carb cleaner /poke a wire in it. but usually you can just scrape the crud off the bottom and spray it and it will flow through. Check for cracks in the brass part too

you can pry the screen out of the bottom if its that bad and spray carb cleaner /poke a wire in it. but usually you can just scrape the crud off the bottom and spray it and it will flow through. Check for cracks in the brass part too
:thumbsup: There ya go....

I always pull the diaphragm out and shoot all the holes from the inside too using the red poker hose thing.... Blow it backwards and it will help ensure there is no crud resting above the screen if ya don't take it out..

Oldsalt

If your Briggs carb has the deep fuel tank bolted to it there will be two tubes; one short and one long. This applies only to carbs that have a long tube. At the bottom of the long tube is a fine mesh brass screen crimped onto a "foot". Inside is a check ball that allows the fuel to be sucked up toward the carb but prevents it flowing back between "suction pulses" from the diaphram in the carb. Soaking in WD40 or some such will sometimes have an effect if the check ball is stuck in gunk. This is common if fuel is allowed to turn to varnish or there has been water in the tank. Oil and etc. will probably desolve varnish and gunk but will have no effect if there is oxide [corrusion] on the parts. In which case it is necessary to "reduce" the oxides. The easist is to get some acid type soldering flux, the liquid type. Heat the tube end gently and squirt on the flux. A few applications of heat [gentle] and oxide reduceing soldering flux will clean it up....most of the time. My favorite method is to immerse in caustic soda [lye] and water solution. However, lye has been Obamaed and is no longer available at your favorite store. [It was for your own good because you are not smart enough to use such things].