how to remove clutch?

If you have a torch, heat the clutch hub bright red and then quench it quickly with lots of water from your garden hose. Puller will slide it off. I'm guessing part of the hub extends under the belt pully. I'd keep the hub red for a while so the end under the pully gets hot. You won"t get enough heat transfer across the rusty joint to hurt the crankshaft. Don't have the puller in place when you do this. Pulling and heating at same time doesn't work well. Heating and quenching breaks the rusty joint. Works every time. Once you've done this you can also remove any set screws that may be holding up progress.

gbones

i had a one of those belt drive (or what ever you call it) like the one behind your clutch. it wouldnt come off, soaked it with PB, put a puller on it and didnt come off. i just took my sawzall and cut the damn thing off. i did it carefully, put put a small nick on the shaft, no biggy i guess. it looks like the clutch is shot anyways so why not cut it off? my 2 cents.

I had same problem with my motor. The crank from a pressure washer pump was so stuck. PB blaster didnt work and I couldnt use a puller cause the crank was long. So i got my grinder and just kept grinding through about a 2" diameter crank around the shaft until I got it completly cut about 1/4" wide path away along the shaft. Slide off after I broke the bond it. I notched the shaft slightly but it still works fine.

get a acetylene torch and some KanoLabs.com aerokroil and that clutch will slide off like butter. make sure you let that kroil soak on there for a day or 2 though.

Last edited:

george3

your puller tip looks large. Is it hitting the keyway, is the key a built in one? I had an engine that was on a vaccume and the prop. was stuck on the shaft the same way. used my sawzall took some time but got it.

Mac

Sometimes I use the tool here. These come in different sizes and they can get behind the clutch bell, grab the gear, then you either use a two jaw puuler on it, or two bolts with a thick plate that has two holes for the bolts, tighten the bolts evenly and it all comes off.

i borrowed a propane torch from a friend so i'll use that. there's been a bunch of shit going on today (had stuff stolen out of my truck last night since my dumb ass left it unlocked) so i didn't have a chance to try it. we had to put the garage on lock down since they took my garage door opener. we changed the code so that remote won't work anymore.

bandit 40

i borrowed a propane torch from a friend so i'll use that. there's been a bunch of shit going on today (had stuff stolen out of my truck last night since my dumb ass left it unlocked) so i didn't have a chance to try it. we had to put the garage on lock down since they took my garage door opener. we changed the code so that remote won't work anymore.
Strigoi ,I had that happen to me as well they had enough balls to return the next night, open up my garage door, with me standing in the doorway with a ball bat............... Yes I used the bat on there Caprice lol they never returned Ever.., lock down is a good idea:smile:

Took me 4 or 5 days to get one off a few months back. I didn't want to risk damaging the clutch or anything else. I used a concoction of WD-40, Dexron & Torco assembly lube with MPZ. I was able to position the PTO pointing straight up & let it soak. Each day I would give it a try & add more juice. I have a small pry-bar that I was able to use to eventually pry it off with.

Make sure that once you remove the set screws, you look down the set screw holes to see if there is another one down there.

Strigoi ,I had that happen to me as well they had enough balls to return the next night, open up my garage door, with me standing in the doorway with a ball bat............... Yes I used the bat on there Caprice lol they never returned Ever.., lock down is a good idea:smile:
i'm not worried about them getting in the garage now. the only way they have to get in is with the door opener. it won't work so they're basically SOL. it would be too difficult to get through the side or house doors.

my only worry now is getting my stereo in my truck stolen (deck, amp, subs). they'd have to break a window for that and my bedroom window faces the driveway (i'm a fairly light sleeper). they have to worry about me coming down and having a gun in their face if that happens.