How to remove fork slop on Bonanza 1300

I have a Bonanza 1300 that has an incredibly loose fork. I replaced the bushing already. I have measured out the bolt hole in the top plate of the fork where the head bolt goes and it seems to be worn out a little bit. It measured out to .654 where the bolt measures out to .622. I have thought about laying a bead of weld around the inside of the hole and redrilling but I am concerned about getting the hole drill the center correctly. I also thought about having a spacer machined to take up the slack. I was thinking of a spacer/washer as a single piece. This would keep everything centered and slop free.

What have you guys done to take out the slop in the front end?

I've had to weld up the holes and re-drill before, but this was on my Manco chopper
and the pivot point is under much more stress... actually welded a washer in place to reinforce the metal around the hole.

My Bonanza's both cleared up with bushing replacement.

mardyn

T-Town Mini

I think your idea of making a spacer/washer is the easiest way to go. That would work just fine.

My suggestion, however, would be to make a spacer the size you need then weld it in place maintaining center. Grind it all down flush and repaint or re-chrome, etc. Then, reassemble using your bolt and standard washer to make it look like it never was repaired.

Last edited:

george3

I have a Bonanza 1300 that has an incredibly loose fork. I replaced the bushing already. I have measured out the bolt hole in the top plate of the fork where the head bolt goes and it seems to be worn out a little bit. It measured out to .654 where the bolt measures out to .622. I have thought about laying a bead of weld around the inside of the hole and redrilling but I am concerned about getting the hole drill the center correctly. I also thought about having a spacer machined to take up the slack. I was thinking of a spacer/washer as a single piece. This would keep everything centered and slop free.

What have you guys done to take out the slop in the front end?
Bonanza 1300 has a lock nut welded on the tripple tree. no movement there. Your prob is the bolt or the top or both. run a small bead on the top front area only. Use a 1/2 grinding tool and grind back to 5/8

I went out to the shop last night and started to pull the forks apart to get a better look at and do some measurements. As I tore it down the thought of going to a machine shop and paying someone to make a spacer just did not sit well with me. So the next thing I know, I had made a wooden template to locate the center of the hole. I located the template on the forls using an existing hole. I then welded a small bead around the hole using a thick brass backing plate. The weld does not stick to the brass and gives the bead something to support it so there is less clean up. I ground / filed the top side and bottom flat and even. I attached my template and proceeded to redrill the hole using several different sized bits to work up to the 5/8" it needed to be. The template was not perfectly set or moved a little while drilling so the hole is not exactly where I intended it but it is close enough. I measured out it was within .020". I think that is just fine. The bolt fits perfect. I think this will take the slop I felt out of it along with a new bolt. Looks like the bolt had some wear as well. The next steps are to repaint the area and bolt it together with new hardware.

Too late George. Already welded it up. It should be good to go for the rest of its or my life:laugh: It provides a good base to bolt to and provides some extra metal to prevent it from wearing away again. But lets face it, it took 40 years for it to get this bad. I wont be riding it 40 years form now.