How wide is too wide?

If I were to build a fat tire bike around these tires would it even be remotely rideable?

Can't get a pic to post.

They are Vendetta 26x16-12 with a moderately squared shoulder made for the small amphibious 6x6s and similar. Obviously this bike would be used primarily off road, but I would like the option of playing on the street occasionally. It would also be cool to not need a kickstand.

Thanks

Please provide a link to the Vendetta tires you are thinking of using. I have wondered, myself, what the limit is and am considering building something around the rear wheels and tires on my garden tractor (Carlisle All Trails, I think), but then I have to finish my Super Bronc first and I am far from doing that any time soon. :laugh:

For mini-bike use, you need tires that are "rounded" on the tread. Unlike quads and vehicles with more wheels, you lean, at least some, to turn a mini-bike (as well as a bicycle and motorcycle) and if you have tires that are "square" like a car tire, it prevents leaning. The tires on the recent movie bat bike appear to me to be too wide and square to really work or even be remotely drivable. But, I have not seen any of the behind the scenes material for any of those movies, so I am not sure if that bike only exists in a computer or if there is a real ride-able bike used in some of the scenes. I think there maybe a practical limit, though, because the couple of bikes produced by motorcycle manufacturers (i.e. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki), that I am aware of tend to use skinnier tires than used on Super Broncs and similar "mini-bike" type of fat tired bikes. The most recent attempt at a fat tired production bike was, I believe, the Eco-Rider, produced in Europe, although it ended up failing. I think they used tires similar in width to those found on ATV front tires.

As far as riding on the stree here are some options for fat tired bikes, these are actually street legal, although for ATV's and UTV's:
GBC Afterburn Streetforce
K572 Road Go

Paul

capguncowboy

This is my big-wheeled bike (Manco Rustler 3-wheeler that someone converted to a 2-wheeler). It's obviously still a work in progress but it's a ton of fun to ride.

You have to be going really slow when you turn, or you have to really lean into it, which is terrifying because then you're on the outside of the tire, where there is very little traction. I think it's a 22x10-8 on the front and a 20x11.00-8 on the rear (but I'll have to double check). They add lot of weight to the bike, and I think that might be part of the handling issue, but they look great and I keep the tire pressure low so they absorb a lot of the bumps in the terrain.

Won't let me link websites or photobucket pics???
Just says "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words"

Anyway, just google 26x16-12 vendetta tires and the first couple links are max6x6.com where they sell them..... not cheap at $265 each:doah: