HS40 very hard to start

I've been working on a hs40 on my thunderbird and it will not start good. I can't get it to start but spray starter fluid through the carb a pull or two later and she's good to go. Whats the problem? Also when i idle it for a while then hit the gas she blows a little white smoke.

buckeye

Good spark?? Coil adjusted correctly?

Carb for sure is clean as a whistle? Thirsty or not hot enough to fire the gas. How's the plug?? Plug wire?? Points, if it has them??
Air leak around the intake.. valve sticking... Low compression...bad coul..

Confused yet??:laugh:

It has a pretty good spark. My original thought was that the points werent correct so I pulled the flywheel and adjusted them they were off some but nothing to bad. Although the sparkplug thats on it was painted over at some point and i can't read all the numbers/letters but it doesnt seem to be lining up with the plug an hs40 should have so I might have to pick up a new plug and if that doesnt do it quess i probably need to pull the motor and check the valves

It could just be the carb isn't adjusted rite.. Does it help to choke it, or hold it wide open? :shrug:

Sounds like the idle is lean to me.. Once it's running, try screwing out the idle fuel screw slowly until you hear the engine load up and die, back it off just a fraction, maybe turn the idle speed up just a notch to make up for the extra fuel, and see how it starts then..