Hubs on Alsport trikes

Does anyone know how the hubs are attached on the Alsport trikes? The setup I have is a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern hub on a differential axle. The end of the hub appears to be fitted with a cap, but I was unable to persuade it to come off if it is a cap. I didn't want to go overboard, just in case it isn't how the hubs come off. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

James C: It looks like the one in your picture. There's no set screw or indication of a weld from the back side. I'm leaning toward splined/keyed shaft with a retaining screw into the axle end, but I didn't want to destroy anything on the hub to find out.

Gumpit: Pardon my lack of knowledge, but who is Steve D?

James C: It looks like the one in your picture. There's no set screw or indication of a weld from the back side. I'm leaning toward splined/keyed shaft with a retaining screw into the axle end, but I didn't want to destroy anything on the hub to find out.

Gumpit: Pardon my lack of knowledge, but who is Steve D?
Steve Durham.. He used to be an Alsport dealer.

james c

my axel is a 3 piece job with u joints, yours is a straight axel two totally different axels,
you may have a rolled pin holding the hub on, if there is no nut outside the hub then that is what you got, knock it out and remove the hub reinstall the same way

Well here I am with the information. Tri-Sports cane first with a tapered and keyed hub with a threaded end . I just gave away 4 of them to a machinist friend because of the good steel they were made from . Then Tri-Sports went to the welded style of hubs and they always used the same 5 bolt Ford pattern. I know I gave away a pair of 13 inch American mag wheels. Steve :scooter:

james c

if you have no nut at the end of the hub then its welded or has been replaced with something else like a pinned on hub that dunecycles and others used

Well Dune Cycle used a lot of the 3/4 inch differentials and Tri-Sport's went with the 1 inch OD axles. I would say that the reason that so many Tri-Sports are still around was because of the heavier frames and larger bearings.
Steve :scooter: