I just Bought This Too For My Kid(s) Seller Claimed Late 1960s Cat Slingshot

Hi,

I bought this last week for my oldest daughter. It runs but has some issues like everything that age. Engine leaks a teeny bit of oil after running but it's just a gasket problem, lacks kill switch, bolt for air cleaner is stripped, etc and other minor things.

Seller was a nice guy for sure and said it was a late 60s Cat Slingshot, coincidentally made just a few miles from here in Colton. It's actually the next town west from here in Redlands.

I'll probably look for a Honda engine for it as I really like them and the ones we've had have taken a lot of abuse.

My plans for this are exactly the same for the other one I just posted which is to say make it perfectly reliable and safe, then train and educate my oldest on this, then let her use it, then teach her to restore it, and then probably store it for her. She wants to paint it candy purple. I had to tell her that candy purple is made from unicorn blood and I reckoned they'd have to kill five or six for enough to paint this.

I'd really like to know exactly what it is, what it could be, and what parts it is missing. I got the correct wheels with it (I think they are correct.) Nothing more. Price was $250.

On behalf of my daughters, I Thank you for your kindness and
assistance.

Last edited:
That's a cat. I will guess Dominator or eliminator. I'm not to good with the models.:laugh: your experts will be around shortly. Wrong seat. Looks like you need seat rails and a sissybar.

buckeye

Should be some numbers stamped on the engine plate.
Top but, I don't remember left or right. Just in front of foot peg mount.
Man, you got two really nice starts.

Hi Buckeye,

I just got some images of the engine plate. Six images with one on each side of each peg and one of the front and back. I can't see a number. It could be faint though as the frame seems to have at least three coats of paint, perhaps a primer too. Does appear the original color is a candyish gold or lime. I had to use a really bright flashlight I use at the races and it is washing out the colors a bit. Bike appears to have been gold / lime, then blue then (now)
black. The pics are on my phone and that device is emailing to my PC now. I will upload once I have them.

Thanks for your help!

markus

It is in fact a Slingshot, big give away on those is the rake on the forks and 3rd seat strap that is welded on at the rear curve. Should be a 1969-1971 since it has the disc brake, but that wheel you have is the later style they used on the drum brake bikes. That may mean its late 71 into 72 time wise though if it was original to the bike.

this is 1969

Spiegal catalog around 1972 shows one done up in a the "all american" version. Note the brake change, with the original gold you are finding maybe not this version, but if you see a good metallic blue right over that :shrug: Only reason I mention that is the decaling I see on your bike.

Last edited:
You mentioned in your first post that your daughter wanted to paint it purple, quite a few years back I put together a Cat Slingshot rider for my daughter, and she also wanted it purple. I did the bike the colors she wanted and she rode the heck out of it. If you do it the way the kids want it, they stay interested......we still have the bike and ride it regularly............

Attachments

You mentioned in your first post that your daughter wanted to paint it purple, quite a few years back I put together a Cat Slingshot rider for my daughter, and she also wanted it purple. I did the bike the colors she wanted and she rode the heck out of it. If you do it the way the kids want it, they stay interested......we still have the bike and ride it regularly............
That is EXACTLY what she wants. Thanks for the great post. Perfect. Did you paint that yourself? If so was it a rattle can effort, a custom rattle can effort (the refillable bottles), or did you use automotive spray gear?

Last edited:
Thanks!
There is in fact blue over the green but the blue looks like a flat mid blue.
The wheels did not come with the bike. The seller bought the wheels at the Pomona Swap Meet separate from the bike. I think he said he paid $100 for them.
The rear wheel looks larger than the front. I cannot see the rear wheel for the disc / sprocket. Is that all tire or wheel and tire?
The "decals" aren't really decals to me. They seem like they are printed on a hard plastic and then glued on. They are coming up or off all around the edges but not curling. Perhaps that is what the original decals are too in a sense but these look like they are homemade jobs. I'll pull them off later and photograph them. Now that the engine is clean I see there's one glued on the engine too.
Does that help?

It is in fact a Slingshot, big give away on those is the rake on the forks and 3rd seat strap that is welded on at the rear curve. Should be a 1969-1971 since it has the disc brake, but that wheel you have is the later style they used on the drum brake bikes. That may mean its late 71 into 72 time wise though if it was original to the bike.

this is 1969

Spiegal catalog around 1972 shows one done up in a the "all american" version. Note the brake change, with the original gold you are finding maybe not this version, but if you see a good metallic blue right over that :shrug: Only reason I mention that is the decaling I see on your bike.

Last edited:
What parts should I order?

Blackwidowmotorsports has the JACKSHAFT/SWING ARM BRACKET I need for the other Mini I posted about so I'm wondering if there is anything any of you recommend I get for this Mini from them at the same time? I'd rather buy used parts on here for several reasons including the effort that I bought these Minis for which was to ride and also for my daughters to learn to fabricate, weld, paint, etc.

I also assume I'll be selling the parts I got with the two bikes that aren't correct for them. Yikes; I thought i was starting out with these two bikes being more complete.

markus

Black widow has a few odds and ends type parts but not too much. there a few sections that have some random parts if you search the site pretty good. Hes got alot of Rupp parts explosions and for the rupps posted up as well as some other good reference info too for them.