I'm a dip stick sometimes.

Been waiting to get around to figuring out what I did wrong with the HS40 going on the Powell. I knew timing was at the limit of the slots, so had some wild ideas about what I'd do to fix it.

Since I have moments of zero pride, and am feeling humble, allow me to confess that when I pulled the flywheel off, stuck snugly to one of the rare and ultra expensive (ahem) lighted flywheel magnets was an old shear key.

It's easy to miss, and I sure did the first time around. If left in the flywheel, the engine will run, but it will do bad things like run backwards, backfire, and otherwise be unhappy.

Timing is still good at 34" BTDC, and it runs like a top now, generates some decent AC, and makes the antique clutch do clutch things.

Thought I'd share this before I grew my libido back. :laugh:

Better look inside the Briggs 5 flywheel next...might be a bottle cap stuck in there...:drinkup:
Trust me, I had thoughts along those lines myself. :laugh: With carb and tank number two, Briggs will "run" for a few seconds, then die. Kinda like tank and carb number one. Mag set at varying intervals from .010 to .030 has no effect, as does new plug. Wet plug, great looking spark.

Spark tester on the way. I ought to save myself some time and order ANOTHER magnetron. :laugh: