Introduction and "what is it" thread

I ended up over here from the HAMB where INJUNTOM posted about his minibikes. After reading all the posts in the thread, I felt that I needed one. :)

I'm actually a scooter guy. I started out playing with Vespas, and now have a Honda Elite 250 and a Honda Helix.

I just bought this minibike, and I am wondering what it might be. My best guess so far, from looking around this site, is that it is a Trailhorse, but it looks sort of like some of the Bonanzas as well. Any ideas? It has a killswitch in front of the seat, like I have seen in several Trailhorse photoss, if that helps.

What size B&S engine is it? The engine runs, and I hope to be able to use it. I am 6'2" and 275 pounds. Will that little engine have what it takes to get me rolling, assuming it is in good condition? What are costs and options for other engines if it won't do the job?

It came without a rear wheel and sprocket. Are they pretty much universal, or do I need to get a specific 6" wheel for it? What is a good source for a wheel?

Why does it have a tail light? What would be the power source for it?

Slonaker

That looks like a 2hp Briggs. You probably need about a 5hp. Check your local Craigslist for tillers etc. with 5hp Briggs. You can usually find them cheap.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. :) Any idea where to get a rear wheel for it? That is pretty much the only thing I am missing.

Slonaker

Slonaker, Nice old school motor, yep it's a 2 1/2 horse, and the frame is a trailhorse, Find ya a wheel for it and a 6.5 clone with a new clutch, that will get you where you want to go, asap, save the old school for kids and shows!!!!
dave

Last edited:
Slonaker, Nice old school motor, yep it's a 2 1/2 horse, and the frame is a trailhorse, Find ya a wheel for it and a 6.5 clone with a new clutch, that will get you where you want to go, asap, save the old school for kids and shows!!!!
dave
Not with those foot pegs. Screw the clone and put a 5 HP briggs in it. :thumbsup: Besides a nice classic bike like that shouldn't be tainted with a chi-com engine.

As for rear wheel, check E-bay or the kart and mini suppliers on line. Just avoid some of the cheap aluminum wheels and messure. A Bonanza rear assembly should work great but could be a bit $$$

How do I figure out what I need? What do I measure? I know I need to measure the axle thickness, but how do i know how wide the wheel/tire/sprocket combo should be?

I never saw it with the wheel, and I have never owned a minibike. I don't know what everything should look like. :confused:

Slonaker

Unless someone else gets to it before I do, I think I have a back wheel set up that will fit your bike as I got a frame just like that. I'll take a look in a bit a try to post you a pic tomarrow.
dave

If Dave can't find a wheel, try Bad Dog out of the LA area. I told him what I needed and he set me up with wheel, tire, sprocket and brake. Fits great and works like it wa made for it.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. :) Any idea where to get a rear wheel for it? That is pretty much the only thing I am missing.

Slonaker
Are you going to use a jack shaft? If so you can use about any wheel package you want as long as it fits between the mounts. Usually lots on E-bay and local mower or Kart stores.

Are you going to use a jack shaft? If so you can use about any wheel package you want as long as it fits between the mounts. Usually lots on E-bay and local mower or Kart stores.

What's a jackshaft? I was planning to put it on the existing axle. I didn't know I had options. I don't know anything, really, except what I have read here so far. :)

Slonaker

EDIT: Okay, I found some pics of jackshafts. No, I wasn't planning to use anything like that. That seems like a solution to a problem I don't have. :) Well, assuming I can find the right wheel for this thing...

Last edited: