Introduction! New to minibikes!

A-ko

Hi there guys, i've been lurking this forum occasionally for a while now, especially the great old family photos thread, but today finally got an account as i just got my first minibike! I've wanted one for a few years now, and today finally convinced my friend and neighbor to let go of his. Not sure exactly what it is, as i have minimal minibike knowledge, but maybe somebody can help. At any rate, i've been into tinkering with and riding motorcycles, mopeds, etc. for years and excited to dig into not only my first minibike, but also my first Briggs and Stratton engine. Happy to be on this great forum!

if anybody can identify the model and year of the bike, let me know! Sears maybe? :scooter:

12501549_262179187448847_149003009_n.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe an old Montgomery Wards mini, the Briggs 5 is a great engine!......My favorite!.......Looks like a nice unit, welcome and have fun!...............................Tom.

A-ko

Ah yep! Headtube joint looks like a Bird Wren for sure. Would the Briggs be original on here or would it have had a Tecumseh? Thanks guys!

The Bird Mfg. Wren / Runabout was mostly sold as a kit . You could buy them with or without paint , motor , kick stand or fenders . Now the seat , 5 inch wheels 3.40/3.00x5 sawtooth front tire and 4.10/3.90x5 rear knobby , chain guard and scrub brake did come standard . There was some changes to the kit during the years on the chain guard and seat . Bring your minibike to ride at the Vintage Torquefest April 29/30 at the Dubuque , Iowa County Fairgrounds . There is alot of riding events there .

And yep, tank is way too close to the rear tire. Somebody clearanced it with a mallet and we already had to fix the leak that resulted. Holds fine now though, but this thing is begging for a rebuild. Smokes like crazy! Cant wait to tear into her and freshen things up. IMG_20160414_081850.jpg

And yep, tank is way too close to the rear tire. Somebody clearanced it with a mallet and we already had to fix the leak that resulted. Holds fine now though, but this thing is begging for a rebuild. Smokes like crazy! Cant wait to tear into her and freshen things up. View attachment 84585
Wow....if it weren't for that late model pickup truck in the background, that photo could be mistaken for one taken in the early '70's :laugh:....:thumbsup:

Welcome to the world of MiniBikes....looks like you were already into the world of vintage...! :thumbsup: !

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Wow....if it weren't for that late model pickup truck in the background, that photo could be mistaken for one taken in the early '70's :laugh:....:thumbsup:

Welcome to the world of MiniBikes....looks like you were already into the world of vintage...! :thumbsup: !
Or into the art of abduction :laugh:

I actually like the look of that bike. Just the right amount of rat. I'd ride the hell out of it

Looks good! be carful to not get addicted!!!! everyone here started with just one and look at what happened to most of us. now we start to itch and shake if we don't get a minibike fix soon. my withdrawals start to kick in about 1 month after my last fix. start seeking professional help before its to late, LOL

i've had plenty of addictions, so i know all about that...bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, old vans...etc. now minibikes for sure...

got the bike running pretty well, but smokes like crazy. probably on the original 60's rings and im sure its seen some serious action. cuts out a bit at high rpms, ignition is all good so i'm gonna tear it down in the next month or so and just do a well-deserved rebuild. but for now i'm just doing laps in the yard and having a blast. starts super easy and has plenty of power. super fun! did a few mods to personalize it, re-did the throttle cable, added a velocity stack i had lying around, old CEV killswitch, number plate, and a few old Champion stickers. took this picture before i repaired the pullstart cord... loving the look and ride and can't wait to take it to Torquefest in a few weeks. thanks again guys!

12912290_485796161609180_25290250_n.jpg

Last edited: