Just got Tule Trooper, kinda funny

Just got this Trooper, anyone know about the trannys??
I know they came with a James tranny, the one in mine says Albion with a Edwards tags rivited on from factory??

I also have an Albion in my Rokon that has the kick start added on.

Is the Albion an option? or the same company as James?

Thats a nice one! Same tranny that I have in mine. Don't try shifting on the fly, it wasn't designed to do that. Watch your thumb in the sprocket, the guy I bought mine from had lost his thumb from running it through. He was trying to shift it while in motion. His wife was his motivation for selling it.

Thats a nice one! Same tranny that I have in mine. Don't try shifting on the fly, it wasn't designed to do that. Watch your thumb in the sprocket, the guy I bought mine from had lost his thumb from running it through. He was trying to shift it while in motion. His wife was his motivation for selling it.
So I take it that's the shift lever right in front of that gear that runs the chain?

yup, 2 speed, high and low!
Too cool! Seeing as its got Tote in the name I'd place a bet to say low is pretty grunty on these?

Don't try shifting on the fly, it wasn't designed to do that. Watch your thumb in the sprocket, the guy I bought mine from had lost his thumb from running it through.
Man gotta have some pretty big eggs (or one less finger? XD) to be sticking a hand that close to a driven sprocket.......

Man gotta have some pretty big eggs (or one less finger? XD) to be sticking a hand that close to a driven sprocket.......
Yeah, big eggs don't equate to big brains. It would just take a nanosecond to catch your thumb in there. Mine is missing the guard also. I need to fab one up, its on my list of things to do.
The guy actually went to the hospital and had everything re-attached, but it turned gangrenous and had to be amputated.:doah:

Yeah, big eggs don't equate to big brains. It would just take a nanosecond to catch your thumb in there. Mine is missing the guard also. I need to fab one up, its on my list of things to do.
The guy actually went to the hospital and had everything re-attached, but it turned gangrenous and had to be amputated.:doah:
:repuke:
My thumb had a run-in with a miter saw earlier this year... Thankfully, I still have 10 digits! :laugh:

motocycle

Tule Trooper

As others have said earlier in this thread:

That gearbox was not meant to be shifted, while the bike is moving. So really, there are no chains or gears moving at that time, of shifting. No fingers should be chewed up.

Rather than transmission; I suppose (Hi - Lo Gearbox) would be a better name.

I had a Tule Trooper , Big Boy model, with a 7 or maybe it was an 8 horse engine; and I guarantee, in Hi, that thing would go Toooo fast for the brakes it had. In Lo it would pull a small trailer full of firewood up a mountain trail.

The Big Boy had a larger diameter rear wheel, larger frame, I'm not sure about the front wheel, maybe bigger.

Back to that gearbox: You didn't have to worry if you were in Hi or Lo. It would pull good and and speed in either.