Just picked up a DB-30, motor swap question?

Just picked up an DB-30 and I have a spare 6.5 clone that I'm going to install. After I got it home I noticed that the motor mount on the bike had 2 sets of slotted holes. I did some quick measuring on my other brand bikes with 6.5 clones and it appears as if the second (unused set of holes while usung the 2.8 hp) set of holes will line up a 6.5 clone perfectly with the rear sprocket. Has anyone heard of this or is this common? They look factory... Second question, I am going to put the little 2.8hp on my wifes bike. Her bike has a 6.5 clone on it currently. Will the PMR motor mount plate work to align the 2.8hp on my wifes bike if I flip it upside down? I works in my head just trying to make sure before I order one. Thanks, Jared

It will not line up. The clone will bolt in but even with the clutch inboard you will have to use an adaptor plate to get proper alignment. Some briggs engines will bolt in those extra slots but the last one I did with a briggs had to be slotted. Get an adaptor plate or drill and reslot about 1" to the right of the extra slots!:thumbsup:

I have no idea which model it is. Just know that its a doodlebug. Is there a way to tell?Ok, well it was a quick measurement so I was hopeful that it would work. What are the extra slotted holes for then anyways? Looks like I'll be buying 2 adapters, oh well...

This is the picture from the ad

older DB's (like yours) have minor differences than the newer red/yellow/green one's

orange paint
8 slots
no fork stops
65T rear sprockets
different style rear rotor
different style throttle/kill switch
square knobby tires

Where the engine plate is welded to the frame there is more surface contact making it a bit stiffer, it most likely has an extra set of engine slots as well as a 66 tooth sprocket as opposed to the 70 tooth on the newer models. Higher top speed with the clone but a real dog with the stock engine, they put the larger sprockets on the newer one to compensate for lack of power. They also had no fork stop. I have two older ones and one newer one and love them all. Vintage looks and guilt free modifications cant be beat! And the swap kit is the way to go if you want a smooth installation!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Are the small pattern engine bolt holes in the same spot on the older (8 hole) doodlebugs vs. the newer doodlebugs with only one bolt pattern?

I know the small pattern is on both frames. Just making sure they are in the same spot left to right, which I think they are. The only thing that would move them is if the clutch was mounted inboard vs. outboard on the two different models. I am trying to brainstorm ideas on how to get the 2.8hp mounted on a regular (non doodlebug) frame with out slotting the bike's motor mount... PMR's plate would work but the 2.8hp bolts thread into the engine itself. Since their plate is adjustable side to side I could drill and countersink a new set of holes to mount the 2.8hp. I will be ordering one of your plates shortly for my doodlebug, just trying to figure out my other bike's situation...

Oh, and I took the bike all the way apart and repainted everything, looks good as new now... Not bad for trading an old cell phone for it!