Just picked up a Murray Kart

A guy had this and only wanted what he had in upholstery, so I paid $120. I don't get into these newer machines, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up.

I brought it home and lubed everything, except the clutch. I guess it's a Comet TAV system? I added fuel to the tank, and of course fuel ran out the carb, fixed the floats, and pulled the starter.

The old Tec 6 started RIGHT up, went to full throttle, (also forgot to ensure the gov was working) and tore off dragging me behind it across the garage floor. Ended up hitting the wall, (good thing my shop vac was there to cushion the collision) and I was finally able to hit the off button.

It needs a carb rebuild, and some steering work, and some brake work, but for $120.....Here's a photo of me "hauling ass" and yes, I really am that ugly. This is my test and tune street in front of the garage.

That's a decent deal you got there Dave. :thumbsup: Those karts aren't really my style either, but it looks fun.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

At least it is adult sized!
lol, yeah. It has an adjustable seat too. I can't ride the Fox kart with the West Bend without sitting sideways and using my right hand on the gas pedal. Sucks, because I want to tear around with that one.

I'm giving this Murray kart to my son/grandsons. I have no need or desire for it. It's boring really, unless I am pushing it back home in 104 degrees, up hill, with the rear disc brake partially engaged. Yes, that was yesterday.

Nice Score. Lose the tec carb, Swap it for a mikuni i've only heard bad things about them. That Kart looks fun
Yeah carb is done. I'm real tired of Tec carbs already. Not sure this kart rates a mikuni though. I'll probably get an Oregon with a choke lever instead of the primer button.

Edit: Any idea which mikuni carb would go on this engine? Looks like it'd be difficult to adapt. I have a mikuni on a BS flathead, and love it.

Man your not kidding about the ugly thing???? Just kidding Dave. So is the steering problem from running into the garage wall??? Already that hot in Havasu???

Man your not kidding about the ugly thing???? Just kidding Dave. So is the steering problem from running into the garage wall??? Already that hot in Havasu???
Nah, steering problem is a quality control issue from the factory. They welded on a plate that holds the steering rod, as well as both pedal posts. It was tweaked a bit, and didn't allow full turn to the left.

It was 104 the day before yesterday. It's around a hundred now, and wind blowing hard. Desert. :shrug:

45t

Thats a good score for the price. Looks like fun and your grandkids will love it.

I also recently branched out from Cat bikes and got my first cart for the same reason that I couldn't pass up the deal. Picked up an Alsport TS-50 for $150 that needs some freshening up.

Something different for us to mess around with and spend $ on. :laugh:

Thats a good score for the price. Looks like fun and your grandkids will love it.

I also recently branched out from Cat bikes and got my first cart for the same reason that I couldn't pass up the deal. Picked up an Alsport TS-50 for $150 that needs some freshening up.

Something different for us to mess around with and spend $ on. :laugh:
I saw that Alsport. You can fit that thing! If I were gonna keep this kart, I'd mess with the suspension and put a big two-stroke in it. AND CUT OFF THE ROLL BARS. lol.

45t

I saw that Alsport. You can fit that thing! If I were gonna keep this kart, I'd mess with the suspension and put a big two-stroke in it. AND CUT OFF THE ROLL BARS. lol.
I like that idea for you cart! :thumbsup: Show the grandkids a lil speed!

As far as the Alsport, my 6'3" 200lbs fits perfectly in it with a few inches to spare. Its almost like it was set up for me. Its one of the bigger trikes, so that helps.

Just ordered a Predator 212 for it. Now I'll want $250 for it from my son. Or I can keep it and paint it up and sell it for more here, if he doesn't want it.

45t

Just ordered a Predator 212 for it. Now I'll want $250 for it from my son. Or I can keep it and paint it up and sell it for more here, if he doesn't want it.
Cool, let me know how the predator does. I'm considering a newer style engine upgrade for the Alsport

I installed the Predator. I ordered it from HF on Friday, kept checking for shipping status, never got any, and on Tuesday the motor appeared via Fed Ex. Very fast.

Installing throttle cable was a very straightforward deal. Plug and play. I did install a second throttle return spring and loosened the throttle pivot plate and applied loc tite.

Since the cart uses a forward mounted key switch, I incorporated that into the supplied stop switch. I simply crimped a male connector on the single switch wire and plugged that into the hole left on the black wires when I removed the oil switch.

Starts right up, and moves the cart well. Climbed a steep hill, no problem. Not bad for a total cost of $250 for the cart. Still need to pick up the yellow lower nerf pad deals.