Looking for a decent and proper pipe/muffler for my Tec HS40

Hi guys. I wish I could post pics of my Bonanza Chopper restore but I'm unable to delete any of my pics to free up space unless I become a supporting member. I'm looking for a correct muffler/pipe for my HS40. I heard David Wulf makes nice pipes and mufflers. I did PM him and waiting for a response. Any one have any ideas for me? It's a full correct restore but if I can't get the correct muffler I will take a similar nice one. I'm also considering going to a muffler shop to have a pipe bent for me. I do have 2 Taylor mufflers #33288 I can thread into a bent pipe. I don't wanna use plumbing pipe to thread, elbow and curve it over the air cleaner canister. Thanks for any help ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

markus

All that I have ever seen on them in the old articles and writeups was the 45 degree fitting and standard Tecumseh muffler of the time. they look odd on an HS40 but they really didn't have the dog leg muffs till like 1970

I have mine out on the bench getting ready to get some color laid on it so I threw a block on there with the exhaust to show. I did try a couple of headers I have, I think you can squeeze an HS40/50 dog leg on there and still clear the seat, maybe even the one that OldMiniBikes sells or sold would work and come out the back fairly close to center. You have to run the air cleaner low to clear the frame so using an H35 style bend muff with the flange flipped and rotated you could get a lower rise and probably center it better.

the HS40 headers that are common is the one off to the right in the photo above, H35 is the one on the left (remember the flange is clocked the other way though) that one in the center is I think a custom from GEM, its coming a little too close to the framerail to work on this bike.

When I get the flanges in for the next run of H35 Headers I make I may try to tweak something up for the HS, the only downside to the stuff I use is a little on the restrictive side.

Heres one of my H35 headers:

Last edited:
Hey Markus. Thank you ! Good info. I do need one like yours for the H35 on my Toad. Have any like yours you wanna sell ? For my Chopper HS40 I would like one that elbows over the top or slightly to the top side of the air cleaner. I did make one out of plumbing pipes and elbows and attached a Taylor muffler to the end. It cleared the seat and air cleaner. Its just not quality enough for this engine and bike. Sure wish I could post pics and show you. I'll give anyone my phone or email that needs to take a look at what I have. Thanks.

markus

I hope to have some soon, I ran down to my last OEM Tecumseh flange a week or so ago so I need to get with the guy that has cut stuff like that for me before and give it to him to copy. I am trying to get a good pattern made up for the larger HS50's first in hopes that maybe he can cut a stack of those out too at the same time.

Have you tried Photobucket for photos? It works out pretty decent for me (I still use a an actual computer though).

good luck with it :thumbsup: