making a clutch/chain guard

I'm not having much luck finding a clutch guard for my El tigre project, so I'm making one. This is just a prototype, so I'm using 22 ga steel. If it turns out ok, I'll use a heavier gauge for the final product. I took the measurements from a Golden Pinto clutch guard, mocked it up in cardboard, and will use my neighbor's sheet metal brake. I'll weld the rounded edge inside once it's formed. I'm sure this has been done by hundreds of mini bike guys, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

Nice work Freddy , may want to consider Aluminum if you know someone who can weld it , 2 reasons in my opinion , very easy to grind the weld to invisibility and can be easily ( maybe not too easy ) polished to a mirror finish !

I'll weld the rounded edge inside once it's formed.
I made one for a Cat. Once I painted and decal on it, it looked...not as good as yours will. My MIG is that 140 whatever. I can do 16 ga. pretty good with it. Any thinner, nah. Are you going to use gas? There is another guy doing a Bonanza guard right now. I'm watching both threads. Good job taking it on, because just as soon as you're finished, one will pop up for sale. (grin)

Still you could do a few of them and sell them and make money. There were members here casting popular guards in aluminum. They're gone now, like some other craftsman. Take photos Freddy, and we'll see you when you come down for your vacation. :thumbsup: I'll have the Twister ready to ride by then.

Thanks, Dave. I'm kind of a caveman when it comes to fabricating. All I have is a small flux core welder, tin snips and a 2lb hammer. And you're right, I expect a glut of factory clutch guards to show up while I'm grinding the weld splatters off my sorry attempt. As chipper said, aluminum would have been the way to go, but I have no way to weld it. I'll keep you guys posted with my progress.

It's starting to take shape. I formed it and tack welded on the inside. I accidentally burned through it, 22ga steel is a little too thin and I had the welder set too high. I can fix that on the final weld. (hopefully) IMG_1314.JPG

FWIW hot rod minibikes sells a nice aluminum clutch cover very similar to the one you are making. The mount is nice too uses two dzus fasteners to hold the cover.
PMR Clutch Cover
Here is just the holding bracket you could use to mount yours.
Bracket for PMR Clutch Cover
I've used a few and they are reasonably priced and great customer service in my dealings with them. Your mileage may vary.

I saw that the other day, it was more than I wanted to spend, but you're right, it's very similar to the one I'm making. If mine turns out bad, I'll probably go that route.

Well, this is how it turned out. It's actually sturdier than I thought. Once it's fastened to the clutch brake bracket, it should be very solid. All that's left is to drill the bracket holes, a couple coats of clear and a decal.

Attachments