May the (Dura) Force be with you. Aaaaaand, also with you.

Boredom met a piece of aluminum this afternoon.
I have a lot more Lawn Boy engines than decks, so I stripped down a pair of Dura Force and made a plate to mount on the Mini Mate. I swapped to Z50 8" wheels, mostly for the brakes, but added height and contact patch will be handy. Being 6'2ish, bending the bars forward was needed if I was going to keep it. Carb/reed mounts on the bottom will be blocked off, new larger cages in the transfer area of the upper case, similar to WB location, so HL Tillies will both be nestled in the V, aiming straight up and with adjuster screws in easy reach.

2x.jpg

3x.jpg

Elbows mocked up to plate, drive roughed in. Chain runs triangle around both engines and the starter/gen, which will have slotted mounts for chain adjustment. Duplex sprocket on rear engine will run the jackshaft and clutch mounted there. Single Tilly HR should be enough for a 282cc twin in modest state of tune. Exhaust ports raised and widened, head gaskets deleted.

dff.jpg

Sprocket86

This is a very unique build. I will have pics of my Duraforce Powered Sprocket mini bike with Comet Tav2, just finished the exhaust!

I'd be cool if more adventurous members on here would utilize these 2 cycle power plants. They are an awesome engine to power a mini bike.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, lads!
The light weight and solid torque make these a great choice, if one is willing/able to do a little fab work.
I picked up a few more dingers recently, another DF, another M-series and a Tec HSK600 98cc job.
Adding reed cages is not that bad a task, and should address lack of off-idle power for 1-speed mini use. More on that, in another thread.

Only 2 (to my knowledge) have successfully completed their Lawn-Boy powered builds...whether they be mini bikes or karts.
Would my LB build be 1 of 2 successful attempts? I just finished the exhaust. Check it out. I hope it's not to loud and enhances the performance. I still have yet to mount up the 19mm HL-239b carb that I won off Ebay. The HL-87C 16.5mm carb is still mounted.

Hey Russ, would you be able to post a close up pic of your throttle linkage set up on the 239b carb?

Would my LB build be 1 of 2 successful attempts?
Many began the project, and got pretty far with it.
No one (other than you and humble self) has posted a finished Lawn-Boy powered kart or mini bike.
I'm old enough to remember when 2 cycle engines dominated the gokart and mini bike market.
Those days are gone forever, and will never come back...apparently....:shrug:
The 4 cycle folks don't know what they're missing.

Last edited:
The 4 cycle folks don't know what they're missing.[/QUOTE]

You can say that again Russ, plus it's cool to have something that most don't.

I'm having some troubles with the head gasket elimination mod. I resurfaced both cylinder head and the block using lapping compound and a flat plate of glass but maybe I didn't get it flat and true enough. I used Permatex PN#85420 fuel resistant sealant and gasket dressing but I have a feeling this is the wrong stuff. I'm going to try Permatex Copper spray-a-gasket and check the head/block for flatness. What did you use again Russ to seal your cylinder head?

Thanks.

Two strokes suck!
Yeppers...
It's having to mix in that TCWIII that is a constant source of frustration.
plus it's cool to have something that most don't.
Yes it is...especially when we pass anything they have.
Scott: I'll get back to you on the goop I used. I don't recall what I used atm. Luckily, everything I've done has been well documented somewhere.

Point is, several people run two strokes here, but don't talk about it much.

Did you note that my Stellar with that A400 was built 15 minutes from where your stated home is?

I don't confuse nostalgia with anything else occurring here, nor someone's lack of interest in my deal as some sort of a character flaw- at least not until they tell me I am wrong for what I enjoy. And then it's just a matter of a mouse click.