MB10 motor swapout with Predator 212

Greetings all, am back! Have had several months with the Motovox MB10 and really enjoy it. It runs very smooth and nice, starts second/third pull every time and we love it. Of course, my boy wants more power. Yesterday we picked up a 212cc predator from harbor freight. My sons friend is into mini bikes too. He said his neighbors grandpa, ex hells angel, loves working on mini bikes/motorcycles and if we buy the items he would swap out motors for us for free, maybe he wants to keep the little one, which would be fine. Well, alas, I believe there was some exaggeration from the friend and now that we have the motor, it appears that isn't the case and my son had the motor outside of the box with his buddy trying to figure it out. I am not a 'work on cars/bikes' type of guy but now my son is looking to me to lead the charge in getting the motors swapped out. I was reading about the lengths some were going to regarding these predator motors and became quite concerned but I think they are going way above and beyond, modding the motor in addition to the swap. - All we want is the stock motor swapped out. I haven't done the research yet but kind of just wanted to raise the flag re: possible help- resources- moral support. I have a chance to really be a hero here if I can pull this off but not being mechanically inclined per se makes it all quite daunting. So far we have the motor and the appropriate "centrifugal clutch 3/4 bore #35 chain 12T for mini bike." He's been researching it and said there 2 new holes that have to be drilled into the frame to mount new motor. Anywho, curious if ya think this will be a feasible project for a newbie or I've lost my mind. He's really passionate about pulling this off. Thanks for reading! :)

dakota

Its easy. just mark & drill the holes or use a OldMiniBikes engine mount plate. clutch goes on other way than stock. Make sure your lined up real good (front - rear sprockets)

Last edited:
You don't have to anymore than mount the engine n go! Everything else is just for fun, then you get bored, you wanna little moooore....when that happens you're hooked! Don't worry, doesn't sound like that happened yet. Now, how bout some pics??:thumbsup:

totally will provide, this place is incredibly supportive. once home will snap some although there has been no work yet. I am ordering the $39.99 template mount kit from OldMiniBikes today, I should probably start by removing the small engine tonight and getting a feel for things, and snapping a pic, thx all again!

you will need to take the exhaust off the New motor to install. then re-install upside down. I just did one today. those Predator 212cc motors haul azz.

Ok, so my friends dad down the street is a major enthusiast and put the motor on pretty quickly. It sounds like a beast! So sick. Very exciting. We still don't have the chain on but will soon. Just wanted to share a pic. 20150201_142212.jpg

Hi all again, my boys friends dad told him we should take it to a mechanic type place to have the chain put on. I was just wondering if this wasn't something I could do or if he maybe just wanted us to do the final step? Maybe there is more to it than he wanted to mess with, then again, maybe he wanted to watch the super bowl, certainly can't blame for that, what a game :) Anyway, was just wondering if there were some tricks or idiosyncrasies you guys could tell me about and I will just put it on. One thing that was kind of bothersome is, my son had the engine fired up and it sounds amazing and was revving it some, not too much but the clutch went flying off and spinning down the street like a bicycle tire. It didn't hurt it but I am assuming the little pin screws were not tightened up, assuming that's the only thing that holds the clutch on. Thanks again all, :)

Evening sengle, most chains are not real hard to put on If they are the right length to begin with. Do you have a chain ? Probably didn't hurt the clutch, but there needs to be a little square key put between the shaft and the clutch...plus the little set screws and I would even get a bolt and washer set up to screw in the end of the crankshaft for a little added protection. Hope this helps a little .

It does help, I believe the screws we bought with washer for the end of the clutch are not right. 5/16 fine, but they don't go in there so not forcing. We do have a chain, #35, I would think it is the right length but still investigating. Thx for input, Steve