MDB et al; clone cranks & crank supports?

65ShelbyClone

I remember that there have been several documented failures of clone cranks in built, high-RPM engines and that Honda cranks are preferred. Has anyone tried running the clones with a crank support? It seems to me that the power and RPM ceiling of a production part could probably be raised quite a bit for significantly less expense than a billet crank.

65ShelbyClone

Yes and it does help if it's dynamically balanced for the target RPM. Lightening the crank counterweights and using a lighter rod and piston will help further, although I'm not sure how much lighter those parts can be made from where they are now.

The way I see it, the rod journal is getting pushed forward by the rod and the chain is pulling backward on the PTO during the power stroke. My suspicion is that the crank flexes more on the outside of the rod journal and eventually breaks along that edge toward the crank centerline.

Yes and it does help if it's dynamically balanced for the target RPM. Lightening the crank counterweights and using a lighter rod and piston will help further, although I'm not sure how much lighter those parts can be made from where they are now.

The way I see it, the rod journal is getting pushed forward by the rod and the chain is pulling backward on the PTO during the power stroke. My suspicion is that the crank flexes more on the outside of the rod journal and eventually breaks along that edge toward the crank centerline.
I think Pronova has had very good success balancing clone cranks. It seems to help.

Are those the girdles that get welded onto the block?
No, they are not welded to the block. They are made by a local guy, and bolt on.