metal chop saw.

Hent

Thing is, both pieces of equipment would be great to have. But at the same time, they both have their uses and good points where the other might fail. We have a DeWalt porta band, you can flip it upside down and the forward handle serves as a "stand" and makes it a bit more stable. The only time I've ever had opportunity to use a chop saw was years ago in HS during shop class. I will say the telescoping style will allow you to make one single cut-pass on multiple pieces of whatever stock you're cutting.

i have used chop saws for years a 14" saw is really big i don`t know what you plan on cutting but i doubt your cutting a 7" piece of steel .the 12" saw with a metel blade and i mean a metal not carbon blade. metal blades do not bend or flex when you make cuts when i worked at sea-ray boats as a welder /fabricator we used a dewalt 12" saw and a dewalt steel metal cutting blade and they work great and cut like a laser spend the money and buy a good saw you get what you pay for . :hack:

all i really need the saw to do is cut up to 4x4 square tube (gas tanks) and make 90 and 45 degree cuts. im going to make a bike soon and im pretty much stuck till i get a saw.

Why not just use a cut off wheel on a grinder? Thats what i used for years. I recently got a 14" milwaukee saw to save from using up grinder disks although they do last a while. It was 200$. I wouldnt buy any no name brand electric tool no matter how limited the use. If you buy a better saw and dont use it much you can get atleast half your money back on the resale. If you buy junk you wont be able to sell it at all. Thats if it lasts that long. One issue i had with my milwaukee is although its rated for 15 amp i had to use a 30 amp braker to keep from blowing it because the startup amperage is higher.

One thing to consider is the sparks and dust from the saw. I have a Jet band saw that I like to use. I try to use cut-off wheels outside as much as possible.

I have a Black & Decker Commercial 14 inch chop saw and it does make a mess in the shop as well as the 4 1/2 inch cut off wheels. I looked up the cost of the metal saw blades and I could possably live with the price but they still throw the metal particals around and you have to clean that up too .
Band saws of the floor model take up a lot of floor space. Let's face it we make a big mess in everything we do.
Steve :scooter:

Oldsalt

Here's my [hobby] experience with saws. A chop saw would sooner or later be desireable to own because you can't cut hardened steel with a band saw. That may not be a big consideration to some but it is to me. A 14" Craftsman is rather durable. Mine is 10-12 years old and has seen a lot of use but has never been stored inside [the band saw must be inside takeing up valuable floor space]. Used the old chop saw today. Had a couple of really long, heavy pieces to cut. The chop saw can be put on the ground next to the metal. To use the band saw would require a lot of lifting and a couple of properly adjusted stands rather than a couple of blocks of wood thrown on the ground. A reasonably priced 14" chop saw [I would NOT buy a Harbor Freight model as cautioned in another post] is cheaper than a band saw. A reasonable quality 1/2" blade for my little Jet band saw is $35 [don't even plan on getting by with a cheap blade, you won't]. Chop saw blades at Harbour Freight are really cheap and work well. A chop saw has a number of problems. One is that if you cut a piece of steel and then put it in a lathe the cut area will be as hard as the hinges of hell. As mentioned above, even a quality 14" chop saw will require a bigger circut breaker than the "standard" 15 amp. And it's true that it's not all that hard to burn one up. They're a fire hazzard. Once I set the weeds in the back yard on fire and burned up two good garden hoses. Both kitchen windows on the back of the house are spattered with hot sparks. Also, the use of a dust mask is probably a good idea. If the piece being cut loosens itself in the vice a band saw will probably not do anything dangerous. A chop saw will probably blow the blade with possible dire consequences. The head on the little band saw can be stood up vertically and used to freehand cut curves in even thick steel. The chop saw won't do that. Noise is a consideration for me. I don't have a problem riding a straight piped mini during the day, but at 11 0'clock at night the chop saw might be instant cause for umbrage amoung the neighbors. Buy a small cheap band saw [1/2" thick blade] but be looking around for a good used 14" chop saw.

I also have a band saw and the chop saw i mentioned. I dont use the band saw as much. Definatly not for big stuff. Just for little stuff that i cant do with the chop saw and take more percision than the grinder. Building a mini frame i wouldnt use it at all. I have the chop saw bolted to my work bench and i recessed it in so the table is flush. And i have a spater pan on the wall for the sparks and a catch bucket below for the dust and cutoffs

Oldsalt

I also have a band saw and the chop saw i mentioned. I dont use the band saw as much. Definatly not for big stuff. Just for little stuff that i cant do with the chop saw and take more percision than the grinder. Building a mini frame i wouldnt use it at all. I have the chop saw bolted to my work bench and i recessed it in so the table is flush. And i have a spater pan on the wall for the sparks and a catch bucket below for the dust and cutoffs

jeep
You are a lot better organized that me! After I get done with mine I set it on top of a pile of wood next to the shop.

What I really want is a very small chop saw. Say, one that would use the 5" dia, X 1/16" or so thick blades that are commonly used in a hand-held right angle grinder. The blades are about a couple of bucks apiece. I cut a lot of small stock for miniature engines and the like. Thought about buying a cheap grinder and mounting it on a hinged base to come up with one for short money. An air motor of course looks like a better option because of it's size.