Mini Army Jeep Progect..

I started my next progect even though the last 3 or 4 arnt done yet :devil2: Its a 1/3 scale WWII army jeep. I got the idea from the plastic power wheels grille. The harbor freight 99cc fits good behind the grille i will have to put the gas tank under the seat I already plumbed the intake for a pulse fitting. Im going to try and make it look relatively authentic with all the grab handles and markings and mini axe and shovel on it. All the controlls will be on the dash board including the pull start, choke and throttle. But it will also have a foot throttle to give it more juice if it wants it. It wil have a centrifical clutch running to a 10:1 tiller diff. Its a straight axle so it probrobly wont turn so great but i can put bearings in a hub or add weight up front if needed. Also ill be able to change the gearing if needed. And the grille folds down for accesability like the real ones. This ones probrobly going to take a long time since iv got so many other progects going on but I thought id atleast get it started :thumbsup:

The tiller diff is a good idea, I've considered a powered wheelbarrow build with one and still may do it. You build some seriously cool and well engineered stuff, this will be neat.:thumbsup:

cool jeep, but I am really digging the tubed out porsche :smile:
thanks its a 72 914 I just bought a set of wheels and they arrived last night and I fitted them and glued on that flare today between working on the jeep. 255s are a tight fit but I think itll work. Im jumping the gun a bit doing the bodywork since the passenger side framing and floor still needs to be done but playing with the wheels is more fun :laugh:

thats a good thought. I think its probrobly worm. Ill have to consider that. But if not being able to push it is the only side effect im ok with that. Not like its going to be very heavy :laugh: actually that would be a plus because i wasnt planning on any brakes

got the engine mount in today. its recessed in the frame at an angle a bit so that i can can have a more flat hood and have more room above the engine for other stuff. Since iv got to run the steering shaft over the engine and down infront of the engine. Im not sure how that will all work out yet but iv got sort of a plan. also ill be giving it rear suspention . since iv got to run a u-joint in the driveshaft to straighten out the gear for the chain. otherwise itll be hanging way low in the middle. Its actually not a whole lot more work to suspend the axle. Mount the pillow blocks on plates hinged at the front and put some little valve springs in back or tractor seat springs and its done. Might have to raise the frame up in the back a bit to clear the pillow blocks and keep it at the right height though. thats how the real jeeps are anyway

got some work done today. First drilled the engine mount holes. Then I figured out the nice big heavy solid pillow block bearing i was going to use for the driveshaft was not actually solid. That was rather frustrating. So rather than buy another one or possibly two I made my own bearing mount. I couldnt find a piece of pipe to fit the bearings so i cut up an old china wheel to get the hub out and welded on the crossmember :laugh: then i fitted a piece of 3/4" keyed shaft into a steering column u-joint and got it all running straight and welded it up. So that turned out good. Then I ran the start of the exhaust pipe. Ill either run the stock muffler way in the back or if it doesnt fit ill use a hot dog muffler somewere along the frame. Oh and i had to shave the crank a bit to get the clutch to fit. Thats the biggest gripe about these 99cc engines it seems. And it actually was harder than i expected the shaft on these engines is hard! Never had that much trouble with a briggs or tecumseh. I tried all matter of files and they didnt seem to touch it. Sand paper seemed to do more. I ended up hitting it with the air sander while it was running and finally got it on. I was afraid to run it more than 30 seconds or so without an exhaust on it. Next order of buisness is the front axle I think. Cant do anymore with the rear end till i get some bearings.

buckeye

Tremdous,mad skills.
Makes me wonder why I bother. I can shine em up. Not much fab skill in this head. Mostly air.
Great inspiration of hopes of what I may be able to do one day.:thumbsup:

Thanks buck! This one seems to be putting itself together. I guess since since its based on the real thing it all seems to fit even though its in such a tight package :smile: Dont ask me how i do it. I dont know :shrug: too much paint fumes i guess :laugh: