Mini Bike Kill Switch Info

Mac

Some form of toggle switch, unless you like to try to hold down a little red button as the minibike lays upsidedown,wheels spinning, on your leg.

george3

the problem is with the toggle where can you bolt it to for easy access??? the button right by the throttle. the problem with the button only one wire. when the mini is painted the switch is not grounded.

i had one of the toggle style ones on my Cat and it worked fine. then it vibrated loose and disappeared. now i just use the wire from it and ground it against the throttle housing.

since i'm redoing almost everything on the bike, i'll probably just buy a new one. they're cheap and i need to order new axles anyways.

You can make a bracket that clamps on the handle bar, or just buy the momentary one that's made for mini's. I think they look like :censure: but that's just me.

george3

thats what I was thinking. funny when I was younger. as a kid never gave a dam. also way back then my bonanza maybe was only a few years old bought used. little to fix on the mini and my go karts. now you buy them vintage people had years to destroy them. bummer.

george3

Lets weigh this out I have a t22 67 round toptube rare. sold it. a t44 round swing arm type. t100 70H oem. even rear tire oem. but engine is a briggs 5HP and a bonanza 1200. that I have a honda 5.5 no ching chong china here to put on it. dont want crapp parts on them. thats why I am asking all these stupid questions. just want the bikes clean. any more ideas very welcome. thanks for all the imput. but keep on posting looking for more answers these were great but same ideas I had. maybe a small bracket off the front of the engine witha switch??? better ideas welcome.

George, you had me at "CLEAN".

here's what I do to most of mine because I don't like wires , they use the same size hole so you can switch to each style any time.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/6090-going-kill.html

They work great and are like a "panic button" that is right where your hand naturally hangs (on most bikes anyway). Also if you where to be laid down with engine running you could be in a position where you can't reach the bars,, where the engine is in the middle of the bike and you just slap the top of the engine.

I do have two bikes that someone mounted a kill by the grips and they aren't much faster and look like ass. (to me anyway) I like less is more,,clean ,clean, clean. Some people get carried away with adding all kinds of mods to their mini's and they no longer are mini's! "KISS" >>>> "keep it simple stupid",,, less is more,,,,oldschoolmini's!

I guess on the bars would be good for kids thats if they remember anything under stress. :thumbsup:

george3

did you make that muffler ext. sweet . I have a b&s 5 ic wanted it on the taco 100 but its wore out 19.000 feeler guage slips in one side the valves when un cliped have alot of slop normal??? on the valves? one day I will rebuild if the valve play is normal. or can be fixed. really wanted that vintage engine on the 100. is that factory silver color on the briggs? what shade is oem? I have a gallon of argent silver for vette rims but the shade is different. I think. my 100 has a vintage 5 white no ic but low miles. was on a tiller.

Mac

I've been using a chinese killswitch that originally came in a set of Twist Throttle/Dummy Grip/Throttle Cable/Killswitch/& Brake Handle, which is sold by the same seller as ended eBay item number: 300262239821
Has two wires into a plug that you can chop off.
It works good.

delray

mac, i like that type of kill switch:thumbsup: better then trying to hold the little red button. the little red button works ok for most adults,but for kids you almost need a KILL switch like that. having anything else for a kill switch where it's not in front of you next to your hand:doah: can be real dangers when you are moving at a good speed right at something and the bike won't stop,because throttle is stuck,for what every reason. a person doesn't have time to be looking around for the kill switch.
also see you can buy throttle,grips,brake,cable,kill switch as a kit. if a person doesn't mine all black?

i've had the toggle style kill switch save me a few times. one time when i fired up my Cat the throttle stuck wide open. the bike shot out from under me while i was still hanging onto the left grip. it started bouncing on the rear tire and there's no way i could have shut it off without the toggle type. it was bouncing around way to much to be able to hold onto the button style. the only damage that happened that time was a broken chain (broke on the 3rd bounce which is when i got it shut down).

george3

thats why I posted this. like I said before when I was a kid didnt care so much. older and wiser. by the throttle I like, but switch I like. or best of both worlds. switch in series with the ugly kill button. is this over kill or what???

thats why I posted this. like I said before when I was a kid didnt care so much. older and wiser. by the throttle I like, but switch I like. or best of both worlds. switch in series with the ugly kill button. is this over kill or what???
Like I said, just make a bracket similar to the screw on brake lever clamp. This was done to one of my Troopers but the ugly thing is coming off in the resto.

You could add a roll bar and air bag to your Taco also while you're at it. :thefinger:

Last edited: