Mini-bike Kits

furyus

Putting together the bits needed for a pair of '70 Rupp Sprints for my nephews. Seeing how much blood and treasure are going to go into these builds, I figure I should put something together for them to learn on before I let them cut loose on a rare 40 year old Rupp.

I like the looks of the ubiquitous Azusa kits, but wonder how flimsy they may be. Any experience? I also like the looks of the Bad Dog kits, which are a few dollars (several few) more than the Azusas. Comments? Any other kits out there you'd recommend? I want to run a Tecumseh on whatever kit I end up with - it'll be MY trainer for learning about these engines.

Hoping to save up enough pennies to get a kit to put under the Christmas tree, but having exploded my budget to get Sprint parts, we'll have to see. Surely (yes, I called you Shirley) you have some opinions on these and other kits. And yes, I've searched. Gimme something fresh, man!

Go!

furyus

not much info

Hi, I got the idea for a kit recently too. I searched around and found several places with Azusa kits, but I want something for rough trails and those little tires won't work for us (big) adults. I had never seen the Bad Dog big tire versions and was beginning to wonder why there weren't any like that. When I read your post I looked it up and I'm likin' that gigantic tire version!! Thanks, now I can stop drooling over the Rokons.:rockon:

I found one site that called the Azusa frame out at 7/8" and .083 wall
the Bad Dog is called out at 1" and .083 wall.

Not a huge difference, but the overall weight and resulting stress on the welds could be a factor? :shrug:
Wish I had more helpful info.

furyus

Hi, I got the idea for a kit recently too. I searched around and found several places with Azusa kits, but I want something for rough trails and those little tires won't work for us (big) adults. I had never seen the Bad Dog big tire versions and was beginning to wonder why there weren't any like that. When I read your post I looked it up and I'm likin' that gigantic tire version!! Thanks, now I can stop drooling over the Rokons.:rockon:

I found one site that called the Azusa frame out at 7/8" and .083 wall
the Bad Dog is called out at 1" and .083 wall.

Not a huge difference, but the overall weight and resulting stress on the welds could be a factor? :shrug:
Wish I had more helpful info.
Hey sculptor,

I like the five inch wheels for the kids, but you're right about them not being proper for much off-road. Most of our riding will be in parking lots and cul-de-sacs initially.

I hadn't known about the difference in the tubing between the Azusa and the Bad Dog. I'm certain it will make the BD heavier but not certain if that would necessarily stress the welds, if the welding is done correctly. I think the BD's come with side stands and welded foot peg bungs. I'm not sure that the Azusas have either out of the box.

furyus

DMR

:doah:
Hey sculptor,

I like the five inch wheels for the kids, but you're right about them not being proper for much off-road. Most of our riding will be in parking lots and cul-de-sacs initially.

I hadn't known about the difference in the tubing between the Azusa and the Bad Dog. I'm certain it will make the BD heavier but not certain if that would necessarily stress the welds, if the welding is done correctly. I think the BD's come with side stands and welded foot peg bungs. I'm not sure that the Azusas have either out of the box.

furyus
Trust me, the BD frame is VERY heavy, I have one with a 14 lb. West Bend 580 engine and the whole bike weighs more than my Vintage Azusa with a Flathead.

furyus

:doah:

Trust me, the BD frame is VERY heavy, I have one with a 14 lb. West Bend 580 engine and the whole bike weighs more than my Vintage Azusa with a Flathead.
Any pros and cons on the BD? I can't seem to find much information on these guys, and have not gotten a response from their web site. One one hand I like heavy, but on the other hand, a lighter bike will be easier for my nephews to throw around.

furyus

I saw those Bad Dogs on ebay. They look good in the pics. Anybody know where they are made? They also sell some nice accessories...polished alloy wheels, brake kits, etc.

A friend of mine has built several Azusa kits. There's one seller on ebay that will substitute 6" wheels for 5" on the Azusa kits...I forget his seller name, but he's in western New York.

The Azusa is a great kit, the BD kits are well made but high rent! And a suspension bike is what we all need for trails, big tires are nice but shocks and springs are your best bet! I'd look for a Baja warrior, they have both!:thumbsup:

bad dog kits

I'm a new member on your site. I just completed my Bad Dog kit. I must say it was very good. This is my first attempt at it! I will post pics in a day or so. There is a picture on Bad Dogs mini bike kit website. Page six top left black bike.

I am in the process of finishing up an Azusa kit. Getting ready to install the motor within a few days. I bought the 6" kit directly from Azusa, as I can drive directly to them.

If I could do it all over again...I would wait for a nice roller frame to pop up on Craigslist instead of going with an Azusa. They are ok, but overall I feel like the quality could be a little better. The wheels are not true and some of the parts seem a little cheesy. I know, it's a fairly inexpensive mini bike kit and is not going to be precisely engineered like the gyroscope in an F-16, but a few tweaks by the company (and their Chinese suppliers) and they could sell a much better product. Just my take.

So you know where I am coming from, the Azusa was my first kit and first dive into anything mini bike in years, so I wasn't sure what I wanted. I ended up getting the kit and then finding a vintage 1970 Cat Slingshot in perfect condition for $180 on Craigslist a few weeks later. With new motor, paint, clutch and new tires (vintage ones cuz I realized later I didn't like the ones that came with the kit) I am getting close to having $600 in my Azusa kit. Needless to say, it has been a learning experience for me and will be my last and only kit build. Vintage from here on out.

Last edited:
I just picked up my fourth Azusa frameset...obviously I like them...

If you want the experience of putting together your own bike, then the Azusa is the smaller/lighter/cheaper choice...

If you just want a learner bike for the kids, get a Baja doodlebug...

i like to buy used vintage when i can i just ride the back roads and keep my eyes open. ive found a couple this way. the kits look nice though and you dont have to search down parts lol but thats half of the fun:thumbsup:

I don't know where the Big Dog kits are made, but my son and I just built a Serengeti Puma kit from Northern Tool. $399 plus shipping. Big tires and full suspension. It's made in China, but I've been very pleased with what we've go so far.

I am building a BadDog MONSTER mini... The one with the really big tires. It is a good/heavy frame. It is taking me a long time to finish it because I am adding fenders, headlight, tail/brake light, everything to make it OHV compliant here in AZ. BadDog has been helpful, I have limited mechanical skills, and no welding skills. (Gonna learn...:thumbsup:) They are built in California. It was expensive, but is very sturdy and everything fits pretty well. There are cheaper options out there, but for what I wanted I am happy with my decision...

I'm just finishing adapting a elec scooter brake lever (for the elec. switch) to the 1" tubing, then run all the wires. Finish all the little touches, (trimming the finders, etc.). Then going to take it all apart, take the frame and fenders in for powder coat, and FINALLY put it all back together. I was going to put it the Project Log with pictures. It's finally starting to cool down here so I can get back into the garage and get some work done... Summers are long and HOT here...

I appreciate all the different opinions.

What works for me may not work for you, and vice-versa. I've eliminated the Doodle Bug. Just doesn't do anything for me, though I admit it has some features that would be good for the little dudes. Frankly, I try to avoid Chinese imports wherever and whenever I can. Just a quirk. For all I know, the Azusa and the Bad Dog are partially/totally Chinese. In fact, it may be nearly impossible to enjoy this hobby without using Chinese bits here and there. 我不想要买来自中国的微型自行车。

It seems the folks here with Bad Dogs like 'em, and the added cost of the kits seems bearable with the BD's "fit and finish." I started this thread leaning Azusa, but Bad Dog has at least drawn even if not taken the lead. I'd rather spend a few more dollars if the difference is significant.

That's if I decide to buy a kit. A $500.00 kit (BD, with shipping) is five hundred bucks I could put into a Sprint, which would go a long way towards locomotion. It would probably also score a nice beater vintage bike, too, one that may need nothing more than some gasoline to enjoy. Of course, a brand new Bad Dog in 2010 will be a vintage Bad Dog when my nephews' kids are ready to ride 25 years from now, and wouldn't it be cool that their whacked-out mumbling great uncle put it together?

I'll continue to ponder.

furyus