MORE 97CC easy engine mods!!!!

Hello for all of you out there who haven't just gone bigger with the engine in your bike I have good news! Today I noticed that the throttle linkage on my bug does not fully open the butterfly valve on the carb when fully engaged. so in order to fix this and run the carb completely wide open all you need is a pair of needle nose pliers and a paperclip.
step 1: remove spring running between the piece the cable pulls and the long arm that goes up to the carb using needle nose pliers.
step 2: unfold and size up your paperclip so it will fit properly where the spring once was and then cut the paperclip ( be sure to leave about a 1/2 inch of the clip sticking out once put through the designated holes)
step 3: make sure the clip is as straight as possible to ensure maximum power.
step 4: bend the 1/2 inch sticking out the other side of the hole so the metal is sandwiched between the paperclip (this will ensure the paper clip will not come off)
Step 5: have fun going 40+ mph!!!

Last edited:

old-timer

Scamming Member
I've got a DB and would like to get a bit more performance out of it. However, it doesn't seem like anyone sells any parts for the 97cc . The stocker can hardly pull my 10yr old grandson around :shrug:

You would think that as popular as the DBs are, there would be more ?
I have a Predator new in the box waiting to be mounted, but right now that would be way to much motor for him.

Vic

I've got a DB and would like to get a bit more performance out of it. However, it doesn't seem like anyone sells any parts for the 97cc . The stocker can hardly pull my 10yr old grandson around :shrug:

You would think that as popular as the DBs are, there would be more ?
I have a Predator new in the box waiting to be mounted, but right now that would be way to much motor for him.

Vic
Hey Vic! Check out the jackshaft from hotrodminibike.com. Keep your stock engine and solves all the other problems!

Hello old-timer,

How much does the 10 year old weight? My grandson weighs less than 90#'s. The way his DB30 runs it would be scary fast for him if he would just give it the gas. If I weighed 90#'s, I wouldn't need a 5hp or 6.5hp engine on mine.

Do some searches and do some reading. Associated with Doodlebug look for "black spring", "turn out governor screw", "sprocket adaptor", "ProMod jackshaft"... :thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Thanks for the tips guys,
I had been thinking of going the jackshaft route , as it will still be useful even if I wind up swapping out the motor later on.

I'd guess my grandson weighs around 80-90 pounds. I've got to spend some time on the motor, as it runs like crap right now. I'm sure that's half the problem. The guy who owned it before me just took the muffler off thinking it would add power, but didn't realize it would do more harm than good. I have the stock muffler, so I'm going to drill it out a bit, reinstall it and adjust the carb.

Anyone know what size the muffler bolts are on these things? I didn't get those with the bike :shrug:

Vic