More clutch problms ;(

My brand spankin new max-torque clutch has been operating weird. Whenever I start my minibike, it tries to crawl forward while idling. And I cant get the engine to idle any lower(honda gx-120). once the idle reaches a certain point, it doesnt get any lower no matter how much i loosen the black plastic screw. anyways, about the clutch, it doesnt start crawling forward right after i start it, it does it about 30 seconds later. the clutch also starts makeing a chattering noise and a constant ding noise(like a dinner bell). the clutch also gets even hotter than the muffler in about a minute and takes about 3x longer to cool off after i stop it. im not sure what to do at this point. could it be a factory defect? because my neighbor has a gokart with a honda gx-160 and the same exact clutch and his clutch doesnt show any of the signs mine does. please help??? btw, my chain has 3/4'' slack so im sure its not the chain tension. thanks for your help :)

what sort of gearing do you run? If you weigh alot and your bike is geared tall it will heat the clutch up in no time from the slipping. as for the ringing just about all my max torque clutches ring from the bell being loose. I don't think it hurts anything.

Last edited:
I agree with loampey. Your idle speed has to be the problem . Solve that before you even consider the clutch...

my clutch drags a bit, and i cant lower my idle speed at all either of course ive got a 15 year old rusty clutch. (my also dosent pull forward untill after its warmed up about 15-30s, but my clutch dosent seem tog et abnormally hot, it does make some crazy sounds though every time it comes around at some point)

take it off and take it apart yet, maybe something is jammed in there?

or return the part as defective maybe?

it kinda sound like a bad clutch . may be see if you can swapp the clutch on to the neighbors gokart and see if it acts funny on there too . if it dont the trouble is on your bike . worth a try

what sort of gearing do you run? If you weigh alot and your bike is geared tall it will heat the clutch up in no time from the slipping. as for the ringing just about all my max torque clutches ring from the bell being loose. I don't think it hurts anything.
well, im only 115 lbs and the idle is set pretty low so that shouldnt be the problem. im gonna try swapping clutches with my friend's gokart and see what up with it. it may be a defective.

Oldsalt

I would say that you have a badly worn out brass bushing. That is when you start hearing the ringing. There is so much slop the 'drum' is banging against the 'shoes' when the RPM is low enough that the shoes are not fully engaged. The ratio that you mentioned [12 tooth and 60 tooth] is on the high side if you do anything but ride on flat hard ground. [I am assuming a 6" rim and a approx. 12" diameter rear wheel]. If you are stopping and starting a lot or riding on grass you will have a very hot clutch, you said hotter than the muffler, after a few minutes of riding. If you have repeatedly got it that hot there is no way that any oil was left in the bushing.

okay thanks, well i do have a 6'' wheels and i am riding alot in my backyard. so i guess ill just oil it more often. maybe every 10 hours of use ill oil the bushing. i guess thats just the way it is. thanks for your help guys:)