Mounting a Predator on my Road Bike?

That engine will tear a bike apart plus the brakes on a bike are not designed for the needed stopping power of a powered bike.

there is a whole website dedicated to motorizing bikes and they have safe ways of doing it.

In 1984 a friend of mine had an old Briggs 5s mounted on a luggage rack and he used to ride everywhere. But that was like 1hp. Lol

fistfullabar

NO! but seriously what kind of bike do you have i ride bicycles too but i keep it human powered there are a couple of whizzer guys here but mostly vintage stuff except the predators 212 but there kinda like back up motors:thumbsup:

Hey guys. I have a road bike that is really lightweight and I think motorizing it would increase the fun of it.

I need to know if there's a way to mount the engine on a luggage rack type thing like in this picture :

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/edanvhadat/IMG_1758.jpg

OR if this engine mount can support the Predator engine:

Heavy Duty 4-stroke Mount Plate

Please help me :doah:
that motor plate holds only small 4-stroke like this
Grubee SkyHawk 4G T-Belt Drive 49cc Gas Bike Motor Kit from GasBike.net

or you can get 2-cycle motor that will bolt on most frames, i have the 66cc motor slightly modded in one of my bikes.

NO! but seriously what kind of bike do you have i ride bicycles too but i keep it human powered there are a couple of whizzer guys here but mostly vintage stuff except the predators 212 but there kinda like back up motors:thumbsup:
I have a Giant Escape 2.

And I'm still interested in the bike rack mount

I have a Giant Escape 2.

And I'm still interested in the bike rack mount
The 5s engines are heavy, and having any engine that isn't chainsaw sized that high up is going to make it unstable as hell. I wouldn't go that route.

Get one of the china kits for $200 ish, and have fun. A Predator is way, way too much for a bicycle frame.

The 5s engines are heavy, and having any engine that isn't chainsaw sized that high up is going to make it unstable as hell. I wouldn't go that route.

Get one of the china kits for $200 ish, and have fun. A Predator is way, way too much for a bicycle frame.
I'll probably just do the 2 stroke kit then

These guys have everything you need to mount a 4 stroke to your bicycle, they also have a jack shaft kit so that you can actually shift gears on your motorized bike. Good luck and post some pics if you go this route.

Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle

Hey guys. I have a road bike that is really lightweight and I think motorizing it would increase the fun of it.

I need to know if there's a way to mount the engine on a luggage rack type thing like in this picture :

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/edanvhadat/IMG_1758.jpg

OR if this engine mount can support the Predator engine:

Heavy Duty 4-stroke Mount Plate

Please help me :doah:

That bike is a death trap. I can tell you from personal experience that HT chain tensioner is going to take a dive into the spokes.

On top of that, that frame WILL break at some point.

Bicycle frames are not meant to take that kind of power. With the little 2 stroke kits, they're fine as long as they're not abused, past that, a bicycle frame is laughably strong.

That's why i included the link for sick bike parts, they fabricate most of the parts here in the US. But i agree, you have to use common sense and keep an eye on all of the stressed areas. Also, if you want more torque and power you have to beef up where necessary.

That bike is a death trap. I can tell you from personal experience that HT chain tensioner is going to take a dive into the spokes.

On top of that, that frame WILL break at some point.

Bicycle frames are not meant to take that kind of power. With the little 2 stroke kits, they're fine as long as they're not abused, past that, a bicycle frame is laughably strong.

That's why i included the link for sick bike parts, they fabricate most of the parts here in the US. But i agree, you have to use common sense and keep an eye on all of the stressed areas. Also, if you want more torque and power you have to beef up where necessary.
The 4 stroke kits they advertise are the little 50-ish cc jobbies that make about 1hp.

Boomstick, I fly r/c giant scale competition models that weigh 24-25 lbs with 9-10 hp twin engines, that's about 1 hp/ 2.5 pounds!. These aircraft are mostly made up of fiberglass and are reinforced in the stress areas with carbon fiber, they are constantly pulling extremely high G's in aerobatic maneuvers, I have not snapped or cracked any of my composite aircraft from a violent aerobatic maneuver . The point I'm trying to make is that a carefully thought out design can work wonders and a lot of it is common sense.
View attachment 61047
View attachment 61048
The 4 stroke kits they advertise are the little 50-ish cc jobbies that make about 1hp.

Boomstick, I fly r/c giant scale competition models that weigh 24-25 lbs with 9-10 hp twin engines, that's about 1 hp/ 2.5 pounds!. These aircraft are mostly made up of fiberglass and are reinforced in the stress areas with carbon fiber, they are constantly pulling extremely high G's in aerobatic maneuvers, I have not snapped or cracked any of my composite aircraft from a violent aerobatic maneuver . The point I'm trying to make is that a carefully thought out design can work wonders and a lot of it is common sense.
View attachment 61047
View attachment 61048

A well engineered structure is both strong & efficient (less material, lighter, etc.)

A bicycle frame, is about as far from that as you can get.

Take it from someone who did this a LOT in my childhood: bicycle frames are weak as shit. You're already pushing the limits on most any bicycle frame (unless it's a high end downhill frame, but would you really cut up a $3000 bicycle?) with a two stroke kit, much less anything substantially heavier, while producing significantly greater torque & horsepower numbers.

Motorized bicycles are fun, but especially when you're on two skinny little wheels that aren't even speed rated, and sub par brakes, you're really dealing with a lot more than meets the eye.