Mounting tires

old-timer

Scamming Member
Anyone know off hand if Tractor Supply mounts tires?

I tried doing it myself, but don't have the know how lol. Gave up !!

Vic

Im like you. I gave up as well. The split 2 piece wheels I can do myself but the one piece wheels go to my local mower shop. $10 a wheel I gladly pay. They have the correct machine so the rim lips don't get all bent and marked up. Not sure if HF or TS does it though. :shrug:

not sure.but if you warm up the tires they are easier to work with.i use dish soap for lube.
can be a biatch but that always helps

old-timer

Scamming Member
Yeah I can do the split rims. but these are the one piece.
I'm going to take a run over to Tractor Supply, and see if they do them.

Vic

kzhorse

I use the stabalizer jack on my little camper to break the bead and a lug wrench and a big screwdriver to pull the tire liquid soap helps both ways.,learned how to do it on a VW bug I had years ago.

Scott

old-timer

Scamming Member
Tractor Supply does not mount tires :angry: However being that Wal-Mart was right up the road, I figured I'd check. They do, and only charged me 5 bucks!!

The trip to Tractor Supply wasn't a total waist though. I bought myself a nice sand blasting cabinet :laugh::laugh:

Shhhhh don't tell the wife :scared::scared:

Vic

toomanytoys

I used to mount a ton of ATV tires.

I always jacked up my dads truck and dropped them on the bead to break them down and then tortured myself with screw drivers and bottles of dawn dish soap getting them on.

My best friend was the turbo heater or whatever they are called, the ones that look like a tube with the fan in the end. I'd fire that up and sit the tire in front of it turning it a few times to get it warmed up. Made a HUGE difference in how easy it was to move the tire around.

A teenager with no money will go to huge lenghts to accomplish something, now I throw them in my truck and pay a guy 10 bucks a pieces to mount them.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I used to mount a ton of ATV tires.

I always jacked up my dads truck and dropped them on the bead to break them down and then tortured myself with screw drivers and bottles of dawn dish soap getting them on.

My best friend was the turbo heater or whatever they are called, the ones that look like a tube with the fan in the end. I'd fire that up and sit the tire in front of it turning it a few times to get it warmed up. Made a HUGE difference in how easy it was to move the tire around.

A teenager with no money will go to huge lenghts to accomplish something, now I throw them in my truck and pay a guy 10 bucks a pieces to mount them.
Hahaha I'm with you my friend !!
I'm getting old and lazy :laugh:

Vic

A while back I needed to change tires on a Scat Tracker I bought. The original tires were shot and I had to cut them off the rims. Rims ending up being bad too. So bought new rims and new 20x10x8 Turf saver tires. Well after 2 hours of trying to get just one on I quit. I search the internet for help and came across on Youtube a video of a guy changing lawn tractor/mower tires. Took him less then 15 minutes start to finish. If you want check it out, go to Youtube and look up "Lawn Mower Tire Change carlisle Tire changed on a lawnmower by Outdoordistributors".

old-timer

Scamming Member
A while back I needed to change tires on a Scat Tracker I bought. The original tires were shot and I had to cut them off the rims. Rims ending up being bad too. So bought new rims and new 20x10x8 Turf saver tires. Well after 2 hours of trying to get just one on I quit. I search the internet for help and came across on Youtube a video of a guy changing lawn tractor/mower tires. Took him less then 15 minutes start to finish. If you want check it out, go to Youtube and look up "Lawn Mower Tire Change carlisle Tire changed on a lawnmower by Outdoordistributors".

Thanks Bill, I'll have to check that out.

Vic

I'd like to see them do it that easy on a 5" or 6" tire. That video makes it look so easy up until the point that he smashes the rim lip with that metal hammer. :doah:

Well I have acute emphysema and if I can do two tires in an hour someone alot healthy then me should be able to do it quicker. Inflating them I used a HF tiedown on the middle of the tire to help set the bead.

I have CKD Stage 4 and I can't do them. Just have no strength or stanima left. I gladly pay a shop to do them for me. My situation, my choice.