My Bonanza 2 speed project but I think I screwed up

george3

This problem is none. when you put the clutch cover on it will stick out on the other side as well. just put it together like the pic. the pegs will be fine. I am using a 6HP flat head tecumseh on my project looks alot bigger than what you are up aginst. but my bike came with longer pegs than the ones on standard bonanzas.

125ccCrazy

This problem is none. when you put the clutch cover on it will stick out on the other side as well. just put it together like the pic. the pegs will be fine. I am using a 6HP flat head tecumseh on my project looks alot bigger than what you are up aginst. but my bike came with longer pegs than the ones on standard bonanzas.
Yeah I figure I can just make a new set of pegs a little longer to compensate for the recoil and clutch......The only drawback will be the one on the right side won't fold up due to the fact it will hit the recoil but thats not a big issue...

Put the pegs up front like a BC1200/1300. (bar and flip ups)

I don't thing the two speed was worth all that but if you gatsta know.:doah:

125ccCrazy

I don't thing the two speed was worth all that but if you gatsta know.:doah:
I had the 2 speed already, it was just collecting dust for 3 or 4 years plus I'm curious to how well they work.... The frame and fenders were in rough shape when I started on it so it wasn't really worth trying to restore and keep original.... if the 2 speed doesnt work out too well I can always put a single gear back on the jackshaft and the bike will be back to stock with the exception of the jackshaft plates being a little longer which most people would never know.... I have another Bonanza in a little better shape, that one will keep it's original style set up..

You might find the low end cuts out early and may want to play with springs. Brant had some clutches made that can cruise at low RPM as well.

I don't like how the two chains link up and the extra noise and the fact it needs to sit over.

125ccCrazy

You might find the low end cuts out early and may want to play with springs. Brant had some clutches made that can cruise at low RPM as well.

I don't like how the two chains link up and the extra noise and the fact it needs to sit over.
I haven't done it yet but I was gonna check around to see if anyone made different springs to change the rpm engagment of the secondary clutch...

As far as the engine placement on this bike it's a no win situation with this engine, when the engine is bolted to the right side slots the recoil sticks, out on the left side slots the clutch sticks out because of the step on the crank..