My first Mini Bike - Rupp Continental

Hello Folks - I've wanted to build a mini bike for about 5 years now. Two weeks ago I went to an old bike shop and he had a Rupp Continental sitting out back. Clearly it's been out in the weather for awhile, and it's missing the engine, but all and all it looks like good start to a project for $50.

I have no experience with building mini bikes so any help you guys could provide would be great. Take a look at my photo album and tell what you think.

Picasa Web Albums - Denver - Mini Bike Pro...

I've got the bike striped down and started painting with rustoleum. Is that a good paint for old mini bike frames? If not, what is a good paint?

Nice Continental for 50 bucks. I would just use chrome cleaner on the fenders if your not re-chroming them. I would also use Dupli color over Rustoleum if your using paint cans. Here,s my Continental.

mybiz

Sand it back down and primer and sand and repeat until your happy. And before you shoot you color on go get yourself some tack cloth and wipe it down good and shoot light coats on it. Sand and paint some more. Its takes a lot of sanding and repainting to end up with a paint job thats going to last. And allways before painting wipe down whatever your painting with the tack cloth. And nice $50 find:wink:

was it cold when you painted? also sand it down like mybiz said prime paint then if you want clear (not needed it gloss paint already) and it has to be warm when you paint

WOW!!! 50 dollars even WITH a missing engine and needing work was an EXCELLENT buy. One of the first bikes I restored was a Rupp Goat very similar to this one. My buddy found it IN THE TRASH on the curb. :censure: They are really nice riding little bikes and very popular and QUITE pricey. It is missing a pretty high dollar little triangle gas tank and maybe a pretty high dollar chain guard BUT it's full of OTHER high dollar parts.. What you have there is one AWESOME first mini bike. :punk::drool: The chrome looks very nice too. That's a big bonus. The guy telling you to go layer after layer of Duplicolor is absolutely correct in every way.. ALSO duplicolor makes a clear coat that will make it look like WET paint long after it's dry but put that on REEeeal light, at a time too.... If ya go too thick it will bubble and do what they call fish eye.. ALSO you want to paint when it is very low humidity helps. That's why I do "winter" projects... It's freezing and boring as hell out but the wood stove in the basement makes for a GREAT place to hang parts. :wink: DRY DRY and 100 degrees.

you forgot the primer :doah: Go with duplicolor it lays on thinner and comes out much better than rustoleum. Use self etching primer if its bare metal it sticks the best.

mybiz

The reason you wipe it down with tack cloth before painting. It get the oil and other crud that paint wont stick to. Every time you put your finger or hand on it your leaving oil deposits from your skin. And duplicolor is some of the best rattle can paint. And I would hold off putting on any clear coat.

richs

hey restore kid continentals didnt have frame mounted tanks their tank would be on the motor that bike would have a 2 1/2 or a 3 1/2 which would be a h25 or h35 with the metal tank on the engine the tank would be the one with the seam running over the top to the bottom:drinkup:

I use transtar jammin' clear. its professional quality clear but in a can so you can spray door jams and stuff. Theres a few different brands but i find that transtar is the best. you can get it at many paint shops or parts stores that cater to auto shops.

HEY!! actually if what Richs was saying is right about your motor, probably, I kow a few models did, the choppers and Banshees were that way too... I think I might very well stiil have one of those original steel tanks with vertical seam, and even a 60's shroud with H35 aluminum ID tag on the side of it for that finishing touch to the restore. :smile: NICE bike either way though. :drool: What's the price tag on that fine machine?

OH HAHA!! I'm an idiot.. I was looking at dudes restored bike... :doah: YEAH STILL 50 bucks was a GOOD buy. It shouldn't take much to clean those fenders up. A REALLY light gage steel wool works pretty good. Like SOS pads or something. Chrome polish or brasso or whatever.. DON"T use those scrubby pad plastic vinyl crap whatever it is kitchen pads though because something about that stuff will scratch the chrome and make it look foggy. SOS pads are a simple and cheap solution. Just be gentle and patient. It's a project not a race. :wink: