My first Mini Bike - Rupp Continental

mybiz

Jeeezzz don't use SOS pads on your chrome fenders unless you like permanent swirl marks and scratches. If you use any steel wool use #0000 or a chrome polish like SIMICHROME. And lots of rubbing.
Close [x]

lol.. yeah "gentle" is the name of the game there. You NEED something to that effect on rust bubbles and years of crust though.. I guess if ya have a power buffing wheel that works well but not everyone has that kind of stuff. The last set of fenders I did were real bad but I just used the lightest gauge steel wool I could find and a little diesel fuel and they cleaned up nice... No swirls or scratches or fogging.... Brought pretty good money on Evilbay and the guy LOVED them.. If you don't scrub hard it won't hurt the chrome, as chrome is harder than steel. If you get rough and wild you can mar it up though.. GENTLE no pressure lot's of gentle (WASHING) basically is what you want to do... Even just a wash cloth and water will surprise you, but it's not going to knock off those stiff solid bubbles trying to become pits.. Big rust bumps are going to need some kind of abrasive. Maybe a good soaking in CLR or something.. never tried it but technically it should work. Most any of that stuff just re-oxygenates the rust and melts it off...

I always use Wax and grease remover by Duplicolor in a 1 gallon can. Its also sold under different names like prepsol Is what I think DuPont calls it. After my frames are strip and before the primer is put on, Wipe the frame down several times with a clean lint free rag between wipe downs ever time. Thats what auto paint shop do before painting. I also use it before any body filler is use on bare metal also.

Great information guys. I'm heading to the auto part store to get some primer and paint. I think i'll start off with a smaller item this time, the swing arm, and see how it goes. photos will be posted soon.

mybiz

Markus has a thread in here somewhere W/pic'c I think It was a Cat ???? he was working on. Anyway the fenders looked like trash but he brought them back to life. Check that thread out there is a ton of good ways to bring chrome back to life.

super fine steel wool is what i use and then some chrome polish. But those fenders dont look like they have a spek of rust on them by the pics. If i were you id be more concerned about getting a decent paint job on it :smile: But yea youll also need to try and shine up the wheels and shocks. The chrome on those is very crappy and thin so youll probrobly end up having to paint them

Yeah small parts are always a good plan... The engine cradle RIGHT UNDER the motor is always a good place to experiment with your technique. And YEAH if there is no visible rust, the best way to clean them up is just an old sock and some polish. The least abrasive the better..

Hey Mini-Bike-Dude.... I used to have a Hustler JUST like your bike. Mine was needing restore.. I drove it around probably 35 miles cross country all together for a summer but she was BURNT up. Drive clutch had HOLES in it, The exhaust pipe seamed to leak some kind of blue CLOUD that looked like I was being stalked by a coal fired freight train.... lol.. It was a nice riding little bike though. I ended up parting it down then building a Briggs one speed yard racer out of it.. WELL I sold the gutted roller on Evilbay but then sold the guy the parts I was going to use TO build it.... THEN had to build it for the guy.. He painted it pretty gorgeous I have to admit. It's blue with white wheels and fenders now. That thing was a damn WILD thing with the Briggs in it... Those things are like little dirt bikes when ya get them excited. lol.. I like the mags because ya don't see them as much. :punk: You should throw a lighting coil and headlight on it and call it a Hustler LE HAHA!!

PLUS........ what is our new buddys yellow bike that he has next to the Rupp? I can't say for sure on that one, and I like to think I know a LITTLE something about them even though I'm 32.. I HAVE studied the hell out of the historic aspect of them the past few years... It's supposed to be red and looks like MAYBE plastic fenders... That coupled with the shape of the frame would lead me to guess Manco for SURE, I mean duh, But I never saw a Manco with "KIDNEY BEANS!!??" Are they a Manco knock off? Why copy a 60's smaller aluminum wheel on an 80's style frame, when any other would be some cheesy 10 or 12 inch steely? Cross bread??? Any idea's on that one? What is THAT Franken-Nightmare? Damn Big Den, you got a decent heap sitting on the back burner too. :thumbsup:

PLUS........ what is our new buddys yellow bike that he has next to the Rupp? I can't say for sure on that one, and I like to think I know a LITTLE something about them even though I'm 32.. I HAVE studied the hell out of the historic aspect of them the past few years... It's supposed to be red and looks like MAYBE plastic fenders... That coupled with the shape of the frame would lead me to guess Manco for SURE, I mean duh, But I never saw a Manco with "KIDNEY BEANS!!??" Are they a Manco knock off? Why copy a 60's smaller aluminum wheel on an 80's style frame, when any other would be some cheesy 10 or 12 inch steely? Cross bread??? Any idea's on that one? What is THAT Franken-Nightmare? Damn Big Den, you got a decent heap sitting on the back burner too. :thumbsup:
I got got No clue what your talking about.

lol.. The very first post on this thread was the guy is new to the site and got a Rupp Continental he is restoring, but he has this other bike in the back ground that if I HAD to guess, would call it like an 89 Manco or something... it's a red link at the bottom of page one.. :thumbsup:

mybiz

This is a manco but I don't beleave it was made in no "1989"
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MANCO MINIBIKE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

They guy I bought both frames from tells me the yellow bike is a Sears brand bike from the 80'. I gave him $75 bucks for both them - $50 for the Rupp and $25 for the Sears bike. There's some deep rust on the engine mount area so it'll need some weld repair, but maybe someday I'll get to working on it. It goes to show you how well the Rupp bikes were made back in the 60's. Even though it's older, it's held up much better than the Sears bike.

Ok, I painted the swing arm. Used duplicolor primer and paint. I was going to paint the bike blue, but now that I've seen Minibikedude's very nice blue setup, I don't want to copy it too much, however, I do think I'll use after marked shocks like he did. I picked out a red. Here's the some pics:

I'll also up load more pics to my Pacasa web:

album:Picasa Web Albums - Denver - Mini Bike Pro...

Red looks cool for it. Shocks I got off ebay from a guy who post them as moped shocks,There 11 inches from eye to eye and he starts the bid at 29.99 every time.

Last edited:

richs

that yellow bike is a sears model the wheels are wrong it came with 10" painted steel mags
here is a picture its the green one its all stock

Don't fill like your the only one.:confused1:
it's a red link at the bottom of page one..
HAHA!! Errrrrr page whatever t is now... IT WOULD be page one, then the pages pile up, so it's technically like page 4 now.... BUT go to the VERY BEGINNING.... the VERY BIRTH of this thread, and you will see the guy saying, I got THIS is my first mini bike project ever... And there is just a red link that takes you to his pictures... Another guy said Sears steel wheeler and that sounds about right in my book....

Well let me tell ya one thing for a DAMN FACT, and that is YOU DID NOT!! get hurt on EITHER bike.. The Sears is not super valuable BUT someone decided it needed a set of 125 dollar Bonanza Kidney Bean wheels for ya.... :thumbsup: I need to start shopping where YOU get your bikes.

This is a manco but I don't beleave it was made in no "1989"
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MANCO MINIBIKE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
Yeah, Manco has been around a while.. I was thinking the newer STILL IN production type frame because of the weird motor meets rear end area.. Are those the right wheels on your Manco or does it have Bird Minicycles on it?