My scooter build

In November, I decided I wanted something to ride on my small property and the surrounding county roads. Money was a real issue, and I love designing and building things. I told my wife it might take 2 years to finish it. I have a 40+ year old arc welder, and crude power tools. I discovered the long overhead tube on our old garage door looked pretty good, despite being rusty. It is 1” diameter with a .100 wall thickness. I wanted to base my design on an old Cushman type scooter of the 40’s and 50’s. I made a rough sketch and made a wooden board to make a jig to hold all the pieces so I could weld it. I made my own tube bender out of a piece of 6” well casing with 2 ears welded on it. When the first bend came out nice, I knew I was in business. I went to a garage door place and after visiting with them a while, they gave me access to their dumpster which had several 17’ pieces of the tubing. A stop at a local welder got me some scrap pieces of steel. Another stop at a heating and cooling place got me some heavy gauge sheet metal from old heat exchanger units.
Cost so far , zip.
I just used the Looks about right method and went from there. Long story short, I worked around the clock
And finished it 22 months ahead of schedule! I made every thing on the scooter except of course wheels, sprockets etc.. It has the $99.00 Horrible freight 6.5 hp motor that runs fantastic. The tires are 16x4 on the front, and 16x8 on the rear. It rides really smooth and quiet.

First, thank-you for your complients. I enlisted in the Corps on my 17th birthday. I was Scout Sniper 0311/8541. My 18th birthday I was in Viet Nam. I was in I Corps (Quang-Tri, DongHa,KheSanh areas) with the 3rd Marines. That was 42 years ago. I'm still there every night. I can't say enough about the spirit of our fighting men and women. I'm glad they get recognition now. My wife says I am living my lost youth. I go out in the garage a couple times every evening just to look at the scooter. Can't wait for warmer weather. This website is very inspiring.

WOW that thing is awesome.. I've been wanting a Tote Gote for my dad to use on his property up north.. Maybe I will have to steal your idea instead. :lol: He was a Force Recon Sniper during the whole Vietnam nightmare.. He would love this thing.. I gotta give ya props on the "Horrible Freight" remark too. :lol: That place is nothing BUT cheap chinese stuff and it's almost sickening just how many people DEPEND on the place as a source of everything. This whole post is great.. The bike is outstanding. Absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

I can without a doubt say that that beautiful piece of art, not machinery, is the most beautiful and awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen created by a human. Great Job

I have a 40+ year old arc welder, and crude power tools. if you did this with crude tools ..... dam what could you do with good stuff . man that thing is sweet . looking at the first pic its like ok neat idea with the square clamped to the frame and table . pic 2 and im like ok i kinda see what hes doing and then BAMM pic 3 here sits this wicked thing . nice job ,