Need info - JC Penny's Mini...

It was '72 or '73. I got my first mini-bike from the JC Penny Auto Center, at the King of Prussia shopping center, in Pennsylvania.

This mini started my addiction with motorcycles. I'd like to find one and restore it, but I can't seem to scare up much info. on model name, etc..

I have a hard time remembering two weeks ago.. but amazingly, after 35 yrs, I recall a lot of details about this Mini. It had a 3 or 3.5 HP Briggs. Centrifugal clutch. Square-ish fuel tank mounted on front of motor. Pedal actuated 'scrub' brake on rear tire. Lever / cable actuated band brake, around clutch. I think the beast was a light color, with a white engine. There was NO suspension in the front as I recall.. but I'm 100% sure the rear had springs / shocks. More on the rear suspension.. granted I was a lightweight back then, but the rear suspension was hard as a rock. It consisted of a pivot point near the front of the seat, with a couple of coil spring "shocks" mounted to the rear of the seat.

After searching the 'net, at first I guessed it may have been an El Tigre.. but the few images I've found show some springs on front "forks" and I'm pretty sure mine didn't have that.

Any info on this mini would be apprecaited!

I don't recall fold-up pegs and I *think* it must have had a left-side kickstand, 'cause I don't recall having to prop it up against something when stopped. The pic of the Bird "Duck" has me thinkin' it was some version, if not exactly the same, as it. However.. that image doesn't show a lever brake.

The el Tigre really has me thinking it was maybe an earlier one of those. The JCP brochure shows it having a long exhaust and a chain guard. I don't recall either of those. I originally was thinking it was Briggs powered.. but after reading these links, it looks like it must have been a Tecumseh. A lot has happened in 35 years and I'm a bit foggy on details. My second bike was a Yamaha GT-80. I don't have a clue what I did with the JCP mini after getting the Yammi.

Not much info out there on the JCP and I don't see them for sale anywhere. Thinking they may not have been a big seller. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the link.

I don't recall a chrome frame. I'm sure I'd remember that. I gotta go through pix at my Mom's house. I imagine my Dad got a bunch of pix of me on the mini..

El Tigre

Jim H is right the El Tigre was chrome. Penneys also had a blue entry level bike, and the golden pinto. I had an JC Penney F/X. It was black 3 1/2 tecumseh with a small rake on the front forks. Anyone know anything about the F/X?

Hi Millers1,
I have that duster you are looking for. I have 2 of them. I have the Duster I got for my 7th birthday! [hung onto it all these years!!] and I have another one --sounds just like the one you are looking for! It is gold and has the scrub brake and suspension seat and the mag wheels! Let me know if you are interested and i can send you some pics! but look at the pic of oldmans minibike -- it is just like that!!
Have a Nice day!! Philip.

1stlegendtx

:thumbsup:
It was '72 or '73. I got my first mini-bike from the JC Penny Auto Center, at the King of Prussia shopping center, in Pennsylvania.

This mini started my addiction with motorcycles. I'd like to find one and restore it, but I can't seem to scare up much info. on model name, etc..

I have a hard time remembering two weeks ago.. but amazingly, after 35 yrs, I recall a lot of details about this Mini. It had a 3 or 3.5 HP Briggs. Centrifugal clutch. Square-ish fuel tank mounted on front of motor. Pedal actuated 'scrub' brake on rear tire. Lever / cable actuated band brake, around clutch. I think the beast was a light color, with a white engine. There was NO suspension in the front as I recall.. but I'm 100% sure the rear had springs / shocks. More on the rear suspension.. granted I was a lightweight back then, but the rear suspension was hard as a rock. It consisted of a pivot point near the front of the seat, with a couple of coil spring "shocks" mounted to the rear of the seat.

After searching the 'net, at first I guessed it may have been an El Tigre.. but the few images I've found show some springs on front "forks" and I'm pretty sure mine didn't have that.

Any info on this mini would be apprecaited!
Is this it?

I owned a 1971 Eltigre. It had the crome side cover over the clutch and chain and it had the long chrome salami cut tailpipe over the rear fender.