New engine. How does it fit????

Hi Guys,
I bought my new HF212cc for my Fox thunderbolt restoration and installed it on my frame. I have a few questions for the experts here since this is my first restore, and will reference some pictures I uploaded.
First picture is old / new engine, what a difference!! Picture minibike_0136

Question 1: The original gas tank is for show only. I will be using the engine mounted tank. Notice the angle of the gas tank on the motor. See any problems with gas flow? Picture minibike_211

Question 2: This is how the engine looks when bolted to the existing frame holes. Will I have a balance problem? The motor does slide back and forth for chain tensioning. Picture minibike_0252

Question 3: Muffler. It is awful close to where my leg will be. Picture minibike_0242

Question4: Muffler. I had to rotate it 180 degrees to fit in the frame. The muffler hole on the engine is not round, so when I rotate the pipe 180, it does not line up. Bolts fit fine either way. Picture minibike_032

Question5: Shaft to sprocket (not installed) alignment looks decent to me. Picture minibike031

Maybe some you guys may think I am too cautious and should just bolt the f’er on and go. But since I bought the motor today I can still return it for the smaller 99cc if this does not work!
Thank you for any advice and input! Now I know why you rebuild minibikes, I am have a F'in blast!!
Rap213

Yes you will have problems with gas flow to the carb and the float in the carb.The balance issue will be ok but your muffler mounted backwards is not good.You will need a spigot mount carb.The muffler you can buy from OldMiniBikes.For the gas tank you should try and find another fox gas tank.

Why can't you use the original gas tank for gas? Then you can remove the engine tank. Also look for a header that keeps exhaust away from your leg and ditch the muffler, you can always add one to end of header if you feel you need one.

that's not good news. I'm no mechanic, which is why I just went with a new engine. Don't want to start swapping carbs, etc. The old tank is rusted solid inside, pretty useless. Maybe I should get the smaller 99cc engine, plenty of clearance room to level it in the frame. Opinions?
Thank you!!
rap213

You can run a Briggs 5HP engine in that frame with no issues.The problem you face is the slanted motor mount.Not an issue with a pulsa jet briggs engine.The engine you bought can work but you will need to turn the carb so it sits level because it has a float in it.You will have simular problems with the little harbor feight engine too.

If I stick with the engine I have and remove the tank from the top of the engine, mount it on the bar where the old tank is I can level the engine with blocks. I like the old tank better and wonder if I would have a hard time finding a new one to replace it.
Also have a friend who can weld, maybe he could cut out the angle mount on the frame and reweld it flat.
In your opinion, is this too much engine for my bike? is 99cc enough? It has a 72 tooth sprocket. Know I can get a new smaller one from OldMiniBikes if needed.
Thanks for helping me.
Rap213

Thats a pretty good idea. Saw a new muffler on OldMiniBikes that may work also. Think the engine is too powerful for the bike? Better to have too much than not enough right?

Thats a pretty good idea. Saw a new muffler on OldMiniBikes that may work also. Think the engine is too powerful for the bike? Better to have too much than not enough right?
There you go...I think that motor will be just right, as soon as you get the bugs out.:thumbsup:

buckeye

I like the way you think but, that's a pretty nice frame and fork. That's pretty much original. I am wondering what's the problem with putting it back together with original type engine??? That could be sweet.
Have you tried cleaning that tank? Is it rusted through or just nasty inside. You can sometimes clean them.
I don't know,it's your bike and obviously you can do what sparks your plug but,I would love to find that set up.
What wheels?

Hi Buckeye,
Thanks! The original color scheme was almost all black. Yellow tank and chain guard/ clutch cover. I want to jazz it up a bit so forks,tank and frame will be red. Engine, fenders and maybe wheels will be black. I have some before pictures posted.
The original tank is very rusty. Actually had a few pin holes from the inside out. I am trying to keep it original looking. Old motor sat in a damp cellar for 25 years with no spark plug. Won't budge, which is why I am going with a new engine.
What do you think 99cc or 212cc? also check out my clutch cover art.
I am making decals on my computer.
Roger

that's not good news. I'm no mechanic, which is why I just went with a new engine. Don't want to start swapping carbs, etc. The old tank is rusted solid inside, pretty useless. Maybe I should get the smaller 99cc engine, plenty of clearance room to level it in the frame. Opinions?
Thank you!!
rap213
The Problem with the 99cc engine is it has no power, and the Engine mounting wont line up with the slots in your frame. you will have to drill new one's. either way you will have to do some mods. mayas well stick to the 212cc and have the power & speed...:)

Agreed about the holes lining up, wasn't sure about the power. That's most important. rather have too much than not enough....
Thanks

buckeye

Those are the same wheels on mine. Wanted to rechrome but I'm married.
The bigger engine will serve you.
Like the color scheme. Too bad about the tank. No way to salvage?
You going to part the other engine?

Like to chrome mine too, but also married. My wife did buy the new engine for me though! New brakes shoes, cable and level too! Wonderful women! Don't know how to save the tank, no experience with that stuff. You have an interest in the engine?